Need help on engraving motorcycle tank

Rstripnieks

Hey, has anyone had any experience on cutting those 1.6 mm steel choppers tanks?
how do they cut?
is cutting very loud?
how do you hold them?
if anybody has ever done one of those i would love to know how it wen.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Otto Carter engraved a motorcycle tank,go to the Lindsay forum go to search type in Otto's name and you'll find all his motorcycle engraving and the tank he engraved God Speed. J.J.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
never did a tank. i've done several fenders that were probably the same thickness. the fixture to hold the fender was an upright with lots of pieces of carpet cut so as to lend support to the fender. the tank: i used a tripod upside down to hold odd shaped pieces of stone when i carved such. the "tripod" for your tank could be of maybe 3/8" welded steel rod. slip rubber hose over the steel to avoid scratching the tank. this tripod arangement can then be affixed to an upright of suitable height. the 3-pronged idea allows odd shapes to be held reasonably to engrave. as for noise-- umm, good luck on that.

Alecc883

New here, but ive done this. Best way, if you have a decent workbench, two 2×4s clamped down to the bench, screw a little block in the middle, stick big lag screws with a washer thru the tanks mounting brackets. Screw it right into there.

I moved myself around the tank tho, i always have, now im seeing all kinds of vices that move, that i cant help you with, thats new territory for me.

Oh, and fill it with water, because it WILL wake the neighbors up. The water gives it more of a ping than a clang. Biiiig difference.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Rstripnieks,You can make a large sand bag to hold any motorcycle parts while engraving on your bench. J.J.