Looking to identify the engraver of this Browning shotgun

Saltydog055

Hello,
I have owned this beautifully engraved Browning Superposed for nearly 30 years and would love to know who did the engraving. It's a 20 ga. with 26 1/2" bbls. built in 1952 (four digit serial # 39XX). The gun is marked "Waffen Bock, Frankfurt Germany" behind the trigger. The engraving is stunning. Please note the detail and shadowing on the Geese and the Rabbits and check out the Fox where you can make out each individual rib!! Clearly a very talented and skilled craftsman. Any information would be greatly appreciated - Thank you
Saltydog055

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Looks like a German engraver did this engraving on the Browning,very nice. J.J.

Takoyaki

Hi there,

beautiful gun,

the shop still exist, it s the oldest gun/hunting gear shop in Franfurt, still run by the original owner family!
They have also a gunmaker workshop in the shop.
Think best will be to ask them directly!
I d not wonder if they may still have the original information about this gun and any other gun what went through their shop ...!

http://www.waffen-bock.de/Jagd.u.Sportwaffen.html

Good luck!

tako

Last edited:

Saltydog055

Thank you for the compliments on my Browning. I had found the Waffen-Bock website (http://www.waffen-bock.de/) a couple of years ago and they have indeed been in business since 1897 and family owned. I sent them several emails with photos (in English and Google translated German) asking if they had any records of this Browning, when and who engraved it, etc. but have never received any replies (maybe they ended up the their SPAM filter??)
If anyone here on the ECBB has any friends in Germany / Frankfurt who would be willing to contact Waffen-Bock on my behalf (I don't speak German) and forward this post and photos, or just get me a good email address, I would be happy to cover any phone/fax/internet expenses and throw in a couple of Cape Cod lobsters !!
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide....
Saltydog055

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Salty,

The person who has the information you seek is Hendrik Frühauf. Hendrik can usually look at the work of a German engraver and tell you who did it. He also has extensive records of most deceased German engravers. I would ask him for you but you might as well ask him directly and report back to us. His web site:http://gravuren-fruehauf.de/

Saltydog055

Roger,
Thank you for the lead. I will contact Hendrik Fruhauf today via email. Fingers crossed...
Saltydog055

Saltydog055

Roger,
I received a reply from Hendrik Fruhauf just a few minutes ago and as you suspected he knew who the engraver was...

"Dear Mr. Hannon,
thank you for your message.
My congratulation ! ... its a really great gun!
tThe engraving its fromthe Graveurmeister Albert Reich.
A. Reich learn to engrave in the merkel factory, his master was Paul Greifzu.
he work in the traditional merkel engraving style like his master.
Albert Reich was in the 1960 this in the western part of germany and work for Kurt Jaeger, Waffen Bock, Waffen Reich -Darmstadt( his brother) and for Krieghoff...
hwe was one of the beste engravers in this time..
all the best
Hendrik"

Thanks again for pointing me to Hendrik. I'm not sure I ever would have found this information on my own.
Saltydog055 (aka Jim Hannon)

Saltydog055

Roger,
I owe you a debt of graditiude for your help as well as a couple of Cape Cod lobsters. Let me know when and where you would like them sent. They'll ship live by FEDEX and will arrive next day ready for the pot and the melted butter !!
I'm new of this site so I'm not sure if you can PM me with your address. If not, you can email me at saltydogcharters@comcast.net
Thanks again,
Jim (aka saltydog055)

Latest posts

Sponsors