Question: cast rings

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If they are good castings they will engrave very well. It depends on the quality of the casting. I cast a lot of silver parts before and they engraved very well.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes...
I engrave every cast ring I do... I also chase them.... if you chase then engrave, you mitigate some of the issues you will encounter with porosity etc..

If you are thinking of casting a blank band, and then engraving it... really not worth the trouble.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
If you are thinking of casting a blank band, and then engraving it... really not worth the trouble.

Totally agree. Better to purchase the bands which have been turned up on a lathe - priced some a couple of weeks ago at around $25-. The alternative would be to make them at the bench but with time involved and the finish I would rather get the lathe turned bands.

Roger

rossm10

Thanks Roger, I fabricate all my rings from sheet stock....but I am going to a casting class tomorrow and was wondering about doing a couple rings. After the responses I think I'll try it!! But, do you have a source for the turned rings you mentioned above??
Thanks,
Ross

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Ross,

My contacts for the lathe turned rings will probably be of little use to you unless you are in Australia however you could try Hoover and Strong or Stullers.

When you say that you make the rings from sheet stock do you cut donut shapes out of the sheet and hammer them round on a mandrel or use strip stock, solder up the round bands and finish by filing and emerying? Casting has its uses but unless you know what you are doing it can be hit and miss. It is always good to know how a particular process is carried out but sometimes it is better to hand over the work to the experts who has the process down pat.

Roger

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Boy is this topic timely. I have someone that is casting some for me.

Attachments

• 8A03C9B8-894B-4FC4-AFF0-A666CAD1CC6A.jpg
    8A03C9B8-894B-4FC4-AFF0-A666CAD1CC6A.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 134

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I generally cut mine out of sheet- cut the size I need, silver solder, clean any solder mess and polish. I even do signets that way. You can make any shape you like. You can also get stamped rings at Rip Grande Jewelry Supply that are stamped. My method they of course rolled. When I was doing a lot of silver work I ordered a 6 by 6 or larger and have it cut in their shop on the shear for $1 a cut-saved a lot of time on bands for rings and bracelets. Look through their metals section and you will get lots of ideas by combining bezel, half round, quarter round, doomed, rolled with designs. After a little practice you can fabricate faster than cast by quit a bit. I had a mentor who said, Fred if you can't fabricate you are not a smith worth your wage. Casting should always be the last choice.