An Average Piece in the Life of a Hand Engraver to the Retail Jewelry Trade

Steece

Our shop serves the retail jewelry trade. Julep cup monograms are a staple engraving job for us. We take all we can get of this type work.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 399

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
When you say retail jewelry trade do you mean you are doing this directly for retail customers or that you do hand engraving piece work for the shops that service the customers? I apologize is this is an ignorant question, trying to learn more of the business side of the house.

As an aside, coming from Kentucky, we have no shortage of those cups around, very nicely done.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a somewhat less typical julep cup job. and i did about 40 of 'em (not all got the full team treatment on the back).

i'm with Steece- i'd take all of this sort of stuff i could get. :graver:

Attachments

• RyderCupCups.jpg
    RyderCupCups.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 309

James

Just curious what type of holding setup you gentlemen use for these ? some type of multi-axis jig that could also be easily rotated and locked? Beautiful professional work, by the way. I'll take my question off the air...

Steece

Hi James,

I think I can envision a holding device you are describing but honestly I open the jaws of my engraving vice enough to where i can cradle the cup in the the vice. I add some soft padding to keep from scratching the cup.

Steece

Hi Jonathan,

I work for retail jewelry stores. They directly serve the retail customer then send me the work. I hand engrave the piece and ship it back to the store. Both of us get a part of the price that is paid for the work. The store gets their part for serving the customer and I get my part for doing the hand engraving. It is a partnership.

Deep in the heart of Kentucky is where I get most of the julep cups I do. Thank you for your compliment.

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
No sir thank you for taking the time to respond. It's a great and weighty gift to be able to come and learn from folks that are in the business of what I hope to learn. Again many thanks.

Latest posts

Sponsors