Ray Letourneau Made push Gravers

DAS

I’m looking for pictures and info on Ray Letourneau Made push Gravers. They were the invention of master engraver Robert Swartley.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
This is mine - I replaced the hex set screw with the nylon screw years ago....that makes it quick and easy to replace the graver. Bob Swartley taught a fine line engraving class at Trinidad State University (one of the NRA sponsored classes) one summer many years ago. I got mine directly from him during the class.

This a nice little tool and I use it a lot. There is nothing extraordinary about its design beyond the Swartley/Latourneau history. Like several others I have, it's another good hand piece for holding a bulino point or a fine line graver, and I used it to detail this Mule Deer.

Last edited:

DAS

Thanks guys. Does the little lock slide up and down to any position?
I assume the inside is a round hole with a 90deg point on the other side and the gUb screw pulls the point against the graver bit?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
The retention collar does not slide front to back. Stays in place but does adjust top to bottom to fit a graver of varying height. 3 pic to follow.....

Attachments

• ++kxhYc0SYaj9ZjrLaiIcQ.jpg
    ++kxhYc0SYaj9ZjrLaiIcQ.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IXj5%r1fSeKF8+QuF8RaHA.jpg
    IXj5%r1fSeKF8+QuF8RaHA.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 306
  • uVAZwbIJSASD8QprmqZ7MQ.jpg
    uVAZwbIJSASD8QprmqZ7MQ.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 302

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Although the locking collar does not move, it does provide a nice little steady rest for your fingers. I use a "pinch" hold for bulino and fine line handpieces so I locate on the collar with my index finger and thumb, and that's another reason for this tool being one of my favorites.

The locking collar also allows one to adjust the extended length of the graver,i.e., it does not have to be set all the way to the dead stop. Sometimes I like the graver point all the way to the rear and resting on the dead stop - like for using it with a bulino tool when you want cutting position to be elevated for picking dots. When I am cutting fine-line, I like it extended forward to allow the tool and cutting angle to be lowered to nearly parallel with the object plane for cutting fine, continuous lines. My nylon locking screw allows for that kind of graver length adjustment.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have two of them, one short and one long. The short one Bob gave me and he had ground the end and that collar to an even slimmer dimension. Bob was a good friend and ever encouraging mentor. The other I bought from Ray himself. I gave thought to and discussed the prospect of taking over the manufacture of these when he eventually stopped doing them. After learning from Ray that there are a lot more parts to that thing than is readily visible, lots of machining and fitting and having my day job, I decided it needed to be done by someone that had more time to devote to that process.

Considering the amount of machine time and work that goes into each one, the price on those were a steal and I wish I'd bought a couple more. It has been said that someone was supposed to be making them again but I don't know who.

DAS

I’m estimating these are about 3” long and made from 1/4” rod? 1/8” sq HSS for the cutter.

I’m new to engraving and I forged a chasing hammer and have cut 2 practice plates with hammer and chisel now I’m restoring a antique Ball Vise and making all the missing parts i’d Like to try push engraving. So i’ll Need to make my gravers. I’ve been unable to work since 2006 due to illness so gotta make do on a budget.

P.s. it seems you can’t post photos directly to this forum only link them?

BlackDog

P.s. it seems you can’t post photos directly to this forum only link them?

Ok I’ve signed in with the Tapatalk app, was using web browser on iPad.

Still need to make the pin and repair the elongated hole.

I have made a new locator for the thread out of stainless. Made a key and cleaned it up. The screw for the hardened washer was bent so it have straightened it. I’m waiting on some bearings I’ve ordered. I still have to make some false jaws and the pin plates as well as a leather ring. I may try a small rubber tire in the meantime.

She was pretty rough more rust and not muck plating left

New key

New part from stainless

Here is the chasing hammer I forged from a 1â€￾ axle and a hand shaped handle from some Osage orange cut down from an imported garden tree. It’s not readily found over here in Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlackDog

Put some random grooves on the end so I c n epoxy a handle on. Don’t know how the originals were done. Did they have a tang like a file?