Having issues...

J.B.

[/URL][/IMG]

Hi guys,

I’m pretty new to hand engraving and haven’t done it in a long time. Just worked on this 2mm ring today. I had it fixed in the inside ring holder, pictured above. I had the hardest time keeping the top of the scroll in view under the scope because obviously the ring wasn’t centered using this inside ring holder. I then tried using the magnetic leather pads and locking it in the jaws of the vise itself but I was still getting a lot of vibration. Also, having to unlock the jaws and rotate the ring after every scroll took an extremely long time.

the vibration from the gravermax/ring holder combo also made it extremely hard for the monarch handpiece to do the work and to get a nice cut. (Especially in certain directions).

When I had to adjust the microblocks physical position 5 times per scroll to keep it in view, my scrolls turned out choppy and very visually unpleasant.

Any advise MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Last edited:

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I alleviated most of the vibration I was getting by throwing away my vise support shelf. Even with the adjustable leg underneath the vibration was awful. I switched to the GRS Satellite stand and have been very pleased with it.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
J.B.

To center the ring in the vise, remove the cap screw on the side of the fixture and slide the fixture toward the center of the jaws until the ring is centered. Also keeping the ring closer to the fixtures vertical post will help with the vibration problem, as would using a full size vise.

Regards,

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like Gary says or set the cap screw above the jaws. Use leather or lead jaws as well to dampen any vibration caused from clamping the holder steel to steel.

Borzzza

Elite Cafe Member
Unfortunately unable to see the pics you shared...

For vibration issues try to put your Gravermax on a separate shelve/stand, not connected to your workbench. Also there are special pads absorbing vibration, you can find them on amazon (anti vibration pads, you can choose between rubber or rubber+cork)

If you are usually working with curved surfaces and have funds to upgrade your scope, you might consider buying a Leica a60 if I remember it correctly - it has 2 inch of focus deepness, which means you can see the whole surface of your ring clearly at the same time, really cool))

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Sponsors