Scrolls on and old national register

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
This is an old national register I have that I will be restoring and thought it had some interesting scroll work on it.

Attachments

• register scroll 1.jpg
    register scroll 1.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 263
  • register scroll 2.jpg
    register scroll 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 269

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dean,Thanks for sharing my grandfather worked for the National Cash Register in Ohio. J.J.

monk

Staff member
sadly, no foto. there was an old brass register on display in a local antique shop. in addition to the design work cast in, there were touches of hand engraving all over the thing. it was a gem that was fully functional. it sold for nearly 2 k bucks.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many folks may not realize that National Cash Register is still in business. www.ncr.com of course, they've gotten a smidgen more hi-tech over the years...

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I grew up working in a small family grocery store and we had one of those...they were built like a tank...and "drove" like one as well, being totally manual. But they sure worked!

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
The first cash register i learned to work on in 1979 was a brass press down NCR cash register. Made if memory serves around 1920-30
My uncle was the regional service manager in Savannah Ga. when he retired and went into business with my Dad.
The brass cash registers are put together from cast brass plates that form the body of the machine using screws.
NCR by the way made their on screws that would not work with any standard american thread. (protected their business)
i have never seen one that is actually hand engraved. My uncle never told me of any that were. If there were they were rare.
The original molds were of course created by hand and the patterns were duplicated over various areas of the plates.
Sizes varied greatly. Some were almost 3 feet wide. i have one unrestored that is about 10 inches wide.
They are beautiful pieces of art when done correctly.
The one i restored in 1979 for a customer sat in our office for 33 years before the customer had it picked up.
He paid for the restoration in 1980 of 600.00.
The brass was painted black with paint similar to tar.
After many many treatments with paint remover I had to pick the remaining paint residue out of the tiny "stipple like" back ground with i metal pick. there were thousands of them!

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Roger an interesting fact about the ones that look like wood in your link.
NCR developed a process that looked like wood that was rolled onto the metal.
They looked just like wood until you got close enough to see the design was flat.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Dean yours is a very old version.
there is a plate on the ledge to lay your money or on the front of the base that has the model number and serial number.
the model number generally include the year or class.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
if you take the cash drawer out and look at the bottom it may have:
the sales mans name
customers name or business
and the date.

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
Van, I built an old fashion general store with a Resturant in it in my town here several years ago and I had found a much bigger one that had that wood look and all serial numbers on it matched and had all original keys. I sold the place a couple of years ago with the register. And they changed the entire look of the place ( and they wonder why they have no business ). Anyway I will swing by there tomorrow and get a couple of photos of it and post. It is all original and works great. Would like to get it back.

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
Here are a couple of photos of the other one I had in my old general store,not near as fancy and no scrolls or artwork, just one big HEAVY register, I did not have to do to much to this one,still works fine.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 63

monk

Staff member
The first cash register i learned to work on in 1979 was a brass press down NCR cash register. Made if memory serves around 1920-30
My uncle was the regional service manager in Savannah Ga. when he retired and went into business with my Dad.
The brass cash registers are put together from cast brass plates that form the body of the machine using screws.
NCR by the way made their on screws that would not work with any standard american thread. (protected their business)
i have never seen one that is actually hand engraved. My uncle never told me of any that were. If there were they were rare.
The original molds were of course created by hand and the patterns were duplicated over various areas of the plates.
Sizes varied greatly. Some were almost 3 feet wide. i have one unrestored that is about 10 inches wide.
They are beautiful pieces of art when done correctly.
The one i restored in 1979 for a customer sat in our office for 33 years before the customer had it picked up.
He paid for the restoration in 1980 of 600.00.
The brass was painted black with paint similar to tar.
After many many treatments with paint remover I had to pick the remaining paint residue out of the tiny "stipple like" back ground with i metal pick. there were thousands of them!

the one i saw had wriggle type engraving. and was done to coincide with the ornamentation that was already cast into the brass. fwiw, it was pretty neat, but didn't appear to have been done by a pro engraver. at least it didn't appear that it would have come from the factory like that. perhaps the original owner did the embellishment.

Last edited:

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Dean i spoke to my uncle (92 years old) he remembers ones like yours well. They are Class 300. He said built in the 1920s.
The wooden looking one is hand cranked isn't it?
I have one smaller than your that has no crank and or motor.
It is spring loaded, when you close the drawer in cocks (like a gun) when you press a button it spins inside and the drawer pops open.
Both VERY Heavy.

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it is hand crank , here is a photo, its neat you would press the number keys for the amount of the sale , turn the crank, listen to gears,then ding, the drawer open.

It has much more character than all these new ones.

People enjoyed seeing it work, and for the kids I would let them press the keys turn the crank and when the drawer open they could reach in a take one wooden nickle that they could use for a free ice cream cone.

When I stopped in today to get the photos I told them I would buy it back if they would ever want to sell it. Will see.

Attachments

• 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Sponsors