New guy

Gunsmith77

I'm getting ready to start trying to learn hammer and chisel engraving and could use any help and tips you would like to share. I've been studying all the old threads and checking out all the great work on here. Looking forward to learning from you guys.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Like a boxer does for quick and free movement, rotate your shoulders open and keep your elbows up and away from your sides.
Once you get on to it H&C engraving is a lot of fun and very fast. Best of luck to you.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Gunsmith77,
Welcome to forum!! I started with H&C and use it for various things now and again. You will have a good time after you get the nuances down.

Don C.

monk

Staff member
i don't think learning h&c or push graving has ever caused harm to anyone wanting to learn the art. on the practical end, h&c is rather inexpensive from the gitgo. a ballvise is not needed. any old regular bench vise will do. best to mount on a pedistal base to allow walk around. in the us, most gravitate to the "toys". if one checks out some of the work done by h&c in countries across the pond, one soon realizes, "it's not the tool, but the hand that guides it" thanks for joining, and good luck.

Last edited:

Gunsmith77

Thanks Sam, the folks at grs told me you are putting together a hammer and chisel starter set. I'd like to hear about it if you have time. Thanks

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i don't think learning h&c or push graving has ever caused harm to anyone wanting to learn the art...

Well, Monk when I was teaching myself to hand push in mild steel, I managed to ram a burin up to the hilt between my left thumb and forefinger. I really don't think that kind of injury is all that rare for those using a manual push graver.

John Barraclough once introduced me to an old fellow who had a career push engraving silver. The old boy's hand looked like it had been hit with a load of bird shot from stabbing himself years earlier. The only injury I got from H&C was for the first few months, while I was learning, I had a bad case of tennis elbow. I could hardly get my jacket on and off. I finally got used to the work. Since I had no instruction, I was probably doing many things wrong. I learned much later that I was holding the graver incorrectly.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Here are a few pictures of the way I engrave & teach the traditional hammer & chisel technique. In the beginning I notice engravers working at a stationary vise sitting or standing, I gave it a try but found it was a waste of time & that is when I came up with the idea of making a pedestal to mount my vise so I could walk around & cut scrolls without stopping.

Attachments

• jj.old.show.jpg
    jj.old.show.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 174
  • jj.in.shop.jpg
    jj.in.shop.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 171
  • jj.show.engraving.jpg
    jj.show.engraving.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 173
  • jj.engraving.copper.jpg
    jj.engraving.copper.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought the engraving set-up from Brownell's in the late '70's which was H&C and used it with the bowling ball vice I made. The wife got really tired of hearing tic-tic-tic every night after work. Being a total novice, learning on my own, I spent more time sharpening gravers than cutting, but that is the price you pay for being stubborn and passionate about the craft. For the new people out there wanting to learn engraving, it REALLY DOES TAKE YEARS OF WORK to get anywhere near proficient enough to try and sell your work.

Bill

Grayson

Welcome, Gunsmith! I'm a fledgling engraver, but I can give you some tips about classes in or near Indiana. I would love to take a class at GRS, but that is a long haul for an old Hoosier who hates airports. A few years ago, Ray Cover's Traveling School of Engraving came to Valparaiso. However, I think he is now firmly based in his new Missouri studio. I recommend him most highly! I know the following fellows only from their impressive work that appears online. Carl Bleile's studio is in North Bend, Ohio. Mike Dubber has a studio in Evansville. He also teaches an engraving class and a scrimshaw class at the Mark Adams School in Connor Prairie. John Schippers teaches an engraving class through the National Muzzle-Loading Rifle Association. Shippers' book may have a particular appeal to you. JJ Roberts has a studio in Manassas, about 40 miles from my brother's home. So I will parlay a family visit in May with three days of individual instruction from Mr. Roberts. No doubt there are other great teachers available, but these are ones of immediate interest to me. Finally, I say that lessons are the only way to go. I wasted multiple, frustrating years trying to train myself to do things that Ray Cover made easy. Best wishes, Gunsmith!

monk

Staff member
Well, Monk when I was teaching myself to hand push in mild steel, I managed to ram a burin up to the hilt between my left thumb and forefinger. I really don't think that kind of injury is all that rare for those using a manual push graver.

John Barraclough once introduced me to an old fellow who had a career push engraving silver. The old boy's hand looked like it had been hit with a load of bird shot from stabbing himself years earlier. The only injury I got from H&C was for the first few months, while I was learning, I had a bad case of tennis elbow. I could hardly get my jacket on and off. I finally got used to the work. Since I had no instruction, I was probably doing many things wrong. I learned much later that I was holding the graver incorrectly.

yes, seems like yesterday when i was trying to teach myself the ins and outs of the art. i only got punctured a couple times. the first few frontstuffers i did were suspended from the ceiling in my engraving room!! i soon learned to work only on the brass parts without the wood. my back began to bother me and a simple solution--i shortened the back legs on the chair. felt weird for awhile. the aches did go away

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a few pictures of the way I engrave & teach the traditional hammer & chisel technique. In the beginning I notice engravers working at a stationary vise sitting or standing, I gave it a try but found it was a waste of time & that is when I came up with the idea of making a pedestal to mount my vise so I could walk around & cut scrolls without stopping.

JJ,

I was wondering about the way you light your work when you walk around the pedestal 360 degrees. It seems like no matter where the light source is, your head will throw a shadow on the workpiece at some point.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ,

I was wondering about the way you light your work when you walk around the pedestal 360 degrees. It seems like no matter where the light source is, your head will throw a shadow on the workpiece at some point.

that's what miner's headlamps are for, Roger!

JJ Roberts

Lighting

Roger...Here is the lighting that I use above the pedestal while teaching the hammer & chisel technique.

Attachments

• pedestal.setup1.JPG
    pedestal.setup1.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 99
  • pedestal.setup2.JPG
    pedestal.setup2.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 99

monk

Staff member
JJ,

heck, in those days lighting was never a problem. i had 2 overhead , 4' flourescent fixtures. very good vision then. who knew to worry over such matters as lighting !?

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
When I started engraving I didn't have anybody to teach me so I learned through practice. Many frustrating days of getting nowhere. All of the sudden I had an idea, I went and stayed a few night's at the Holiday Inn Express and that's all it took, I have been a top notch engraver since. LOL

JJ Roberts

After seeing pictures of engravers sitting and working with H&C I found engraving at a stationary vice was not the way to go,and that's when I built a pedestal for my bowling ball vice and then a 16lb.Victor and switch to a LeTourneau 45 lb.vice.Very simple this was back around 1976 easy to cut scrolls in one pass without stopping.also stand over the work your scrolls come out nice and round and can work with power assist.So try the Walk-a Bout. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors