Question: Unknown engraver "H"

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As many of you know, I am frequently asked to attribute the work of various gun engravers. Over the years there have been so many people in the US who engraved a few guns as a hobby or sideline whose identity is lost to history. Many of these engravers did not sign their work in any way but many put some initials or cryptic mark that has gone unrecorded by FEGA or anywhere else.

The picture below shows some engraving on a S&W revolver with the letter H for the engraver's mark. I do not have the H mark in my archives nor do I recognize the scrollwork. I thought I might do a little crowd sourcing for the answer.

I know of many engravers with a last initial H but either this is not their signature or the engraving does not match their work.

If you know for sure who this engraver is (it could be one of you) please let me know.

Thanks,

CRB

Attachments

• H (eng. UNK).jpg
    H (eng. UNK).jpg
    127 KB · Views: 273

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I won't bet money on it but the work looks a lot like the work of Fred Harrington. I remember his work from the 80s when I would see him at Michigan gun shows. He did a lot more knives but I saw a lot of revolvers as well.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Rex,

I thought about old Fred and made a comparison of his scrollwork. I also have a sample of his mark in my files. You can compare the scroll on the knife bolster below as well as the FAH mark.

Attachments

• Harrington, Fred (FAH).jpg
    Harrington, Fred (FAH).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 245

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, 35+ years clouded my memory a bit. I now remember his leaves and were pretty much carried out in all of his work.

Latest posts

Sponsors