Germanic scroll demonstration

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
reminds of the style Winston used on that spectacular S&W .22 revolver 40-some-odd yrs ago. still one of my all-time favorite works.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
reminds of the style Winston used on that spectacular S&W .22 revolver 40-some-odd yrs ago. still one of my all-time favorite works.

I don't have a digitized image of the Churchill S&W revolver but here is a detail picture of Winston's German scroll on a Remington Model 32. The quality of Sam's rendition is on par with Winston's IMO.

Attachments

• Churchill-Remington German scroll.jpg
    Churchill-Remington German scroll.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 289

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks, Roger, that Remington 32 also got a fair amount of press way back when. i probably remember the Smith revolver because the entire project was so beautiful (cased, with spare .22 Mag cylinder, which had slightly different raised gold inlays). while the shotgun's engraving was also very pretty, the overall gun never did anything for me. in fact, iirc, i once read where Winston wasn't all that fond of it either. he'd really put forth his best effort, but the ungainly lines of the gun just could not be overcome. i think he even referred to it as "The Albatross".

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, Gordon, that's it! note that Winston also stocked that gun, too. his work is spectacular, of course, but the overall piece still doesn't blow up my skirt. maybe someone has images of the S&W revolver?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't have a digitized image of the Churchill S&W revolver but here is a detail picture of Winston's German scroll on a Remington Model 32. The quality of Sam's rendition is on par with Winston's IMO.

That's fantastic Roger! For me the big challenge is keeping the body of scrolls and tendrils thin and delicate, which really makes this style. I have a tendency to go heavy, probably because I normally engrave heavier styled scrolls.

Thank you for your comment :) I think mine needs some refinement when compared to Winston's.

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
Really? I don't think,the scale of you're engraving is half minus than the Winston's ! don't forget that when you use a binocular the result is not the same if you just do it with an optivisor or just by eyes ;)

Latest posts

Sponsors