Evening musings about bone

Pancho

Sometime this summer I’m planning on getting a castration knife from a custom maker in Colorado. His knives look pretty sharp, no pun intended, but I’m thinking about dressing the scales up alittle bit myself.

I’ve been toying with the idea of either an inlay or engraving. I’ve got a rotary tool but don’t like using it and was wondering if a airgraver would be able to do what I’m wanting or if it would chip or shatter the bone in a less than pleasing way.

I’ll probably try it anyway, mostly because I’m bored not because I don’t believe what I’ll be told but just wanted to check with the experts to make sure I don’t spend too much time trying to do the impossible.

Thanks in advance, pancho

Last edited:

Pancho

I’ve got access to bone from, cows that died out on the ranch, I’m just not sure how feasible it is, I know it can be done with a dremel, I just don’t know if a pneumatic graver will work the way I’m hoping.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
bone has a slightly different grain than ivory, will ten to lift and peel if you go too deep at once, but if you take small bites, it will cut nicely.. like ivory,but moreso, you will have to watch the direction of cuts. you can get a dull finish as oyu slice against the fgrain.

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
My experience with bone has been with turbine rotary carvers (NSK Presto) and it did fine, the carbide burs cut well, but honestly the diamond bits preformed the best imho. Just keep in mind the dust and smell.

Pancho

Thanks chujy and John, I’m going to give it a try in the next few day, good to know that it is at least possible with a non rotary.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Many knifemakers in Norway/Sweden carve or cut reindeerantler With a small knife. I dont know if the Method they use is the best for bone.
they cut a v-shape in the antler With two cuts (one cut in one direction, and the Next in opposite direction).

Here is a link to some knives that is carved With a knife instead of rotary tool.

http://bladegallery.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1173&cat=Eklund,+Par-Olof

or this video after about 8 min
http://www.woodlanders.com/blog/2017/8/31/episode-14-sami-woodcraft

IMO this man is the best antlercarver in Norway

Jørn-Ove

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors