Engraving my own Hanko

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hanko is the Japanese name for the red seal you can see in most of their paintings or calligraphy

A Japanese friend Todoroki-san kindly traduced my name with kanji .
Jean Santos (2).jpg
I bought two old Chinese seals in e bay. These seals are made out of soap stone . This stone is easy to cut with a saw, I had to cut out 2 mm to remove the initial engraving. Then honed the stone with sandpaper and engraved it again.
P1180308.jpg
The engraving of soap stone is quite easy, I used an onglette for cutting the outlines and a small flat to remove the background.

Here are the tools used by Japanese for traditionally engraving their seals
DSCF5637 (2).jpg
I have now two seals, and can sign with a Japanese touch when I’ve to engrave some Japanese items .
P1180312.jpg
P1180358.jpg
I can’t read Japenese but really enjoy engraving it ;)
P1170629.jpg

Last edited:

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Very neatly done sir!

Your comment about not being able to read Japanese but that you enjoy engraving it strikes home. I have always been fascinated by runic carvings and though I don't understand a word of it, they draw me, every time I see an inscription done I find myself imagining who what and where it was done. I'm a horrible practical person, I'm not religious or superstitious.... but there's something of old magic in those graven marks.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jean,Yes I do remember Dr.Joseph M.Vitolo,my favorite subject in school was penmanship & art always got A's in both. J.J.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
JJ at school I was dreaming of fishing and now I'm getting older but still dreaming of fish.
The fishing season will open in a week;)

I put my new hanko on a sketch this afternoon. The scale is not the same for the fly and for the tiny zebra trout I fish there.:rolleyes:
kebari jean.jpg

monk

Staff member
rather interesting. i began painting in the "oriental style" about a year ago. i was going to engrave one, but decided to use my laser instead. i paint on wood panels. shown is a rather non traditional design i use. if one strains, one can possibly see, "monk". btw, thanks for showing yours.

Attachments

• MONKCHOP.jpg
    MONKCHOP.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 137

santos

Elite Cafe Member
There is an interesting video on chinese seals engraving. Look how they hold their chisel
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nBkIOESO4[/video]

monk

Staff member
There is an interesting video on chinese seals engraving. Look how they hold their chisel
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nBkIOESO4[/video]

tyvm. interesting to see the tool size related to the size of the actual engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors