Parsifal themed Rifle

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Welch was kind enough to send me some photos he took at the Fega show of the rifle I had there.

The the owner is an opera enthusiast so we did Wagners Parsifal. This is the scene where Parsifal, after years of search finds his way back to the Grail castle with the holy lance/spear of destiny.

Last edited:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Brian that's a lot of work that made an ordinary gun really stand out. The inlay work is unbelievable ! Inlays for the shadow of the flag and on the screw heads really show lots of skill and planning . To make such tiny inlays do you simply use tiny(er) gravers ? I can do an inlay about the size of a pencil lead but now I see how important tiny inlays are needed. And the colors ! Wow .Nice pics from Sam too. Thanks for showing, Mark

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian.
You will go down in history with work like that. Very creative and unsurpassed execution. I can's say enough good things about that work. I wish I could have been there to see it in person. I must come over and see you some day. Jerry H.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was a real treat to see it in person- the best piece in the show.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is so awesome Brian. I remember a while ago (not all that long) I had this saddle maker kid in my class and after the 2nd day I knew he was going to do some fantastic work. Once in a while I get something right!!
Great stuff!!

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is so awesome Brian. I remember a while ago (not all that long) I had this saddle maker kid in my class and after the 2nd day I knew he was going to do some fantastic work. Once in a while I get something right!!
Great stuff!!

You are VERY correct Rex. Sitting next to him as you taught and he worked was an amazing experience. I was inspired by your excellent teaching and extraordinary patience and awed by how fast Brian digested your every word and executed his projects flawlessly. Every once in a while, as you so aptly stated, true mastery shows in a student and he goes ahead and surpasses the rest of us and becomes a true World Master. Thanks Rex and Brian for continuing to inspire me, and the rest of us in the craft.

Bill

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
speedy6, yes for small inlay work shrink the size of your tools. They will become fragile so you must take care to remove metal slowly bit by bit or you will spend a lot of time resharpening.

Rex, 13 years flies by. My first class was April of '05, with Rex and he can attest I knew nothing, not even the diffence between regular line engraving and western bright cut. I knew by the end of the week though.
However, when asked who had the greatest impact on my engraving career, I say Lynda Shreck, had she not hounded me I would have never signed up for that class, or any other.

Roger, Yes, Jerry Fisher built the rifle.

Thanks all for taking a look and the kind words. B.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've said it before but this is proof that we are in the middle of an engraving renaissance. Guys like Brian are at the forefront of that movement. Well done!

Latest posts

Sponsors