Converting Procreate Drawings to Vector

BuddyAustin

Hey Everyone, I just got an ipad pro and apple pencil and have been really enjoying drawing in procreate!

I was wondering if any of you have found success in converting your detailed scrollwork drawings into Vector files?

The drawing seems to lose a lot of integrity when I choose the live trace option in adobe illustrator.

I am using adobe CS5 (and am an illustrator novice). I attached an image of the original drawing and also a screenshot of how it looks after the live trace.

Any advise or help would be really great! Thanks!

Attachments

• ScrollSymmetry.jpg
    ScrollSymmetry.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 211
  • ScrollworkTraced.jpg
    ScrollworkTraced.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 211

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Really nice drawing, Buddy! I don't know of a solution to vectorizing such detail. If/when I do it, I only vectorize the main lines before shading. There's just too much detail in shading to get a clean vector. If that's what your goal is, you'll be better off drawing the shade lines in Illustrator.

BuddyAustin

Thanks Sam! I am absolutely loving the procreate app. There was a bit of a learning curve (and i’m Still working through some things), but what an asset! And the engraving brush and pencils are great! I haven’t really used the outliner yet. What do you like to use that for primarily?

Also thanks for the input on the vectorization! Too bad that detail can’t be achieved but good to know there is a possible solution in shading in Illustrator.

Andrew Biggs

It all depends on what you want to do with the end product. Drawing or engraving?

Is the drawing for engraving/transfer?

or is the drawing for clip art and print reproduction in various sizes?

A lot of people confuse the two of them when in fact they are both quite different things.

If the drawing is for engraving/transfer then yes, you can convert it to a vector very easily…………..but, the quality won’t be all that flash. However it will be good enough for a transfer and then engraving.

1. The first thing you have to do is leave out all the shading otherwise you will end up with a big black blob when transferring. Stick to main outline cuts only.

2. Create layer in ProCreate and outline pencil drawing with a pen brush (technical pen)

3. Turn off all other layers

4. Export as jpg.

5. Open in Illustrator and “Image Trace”

6. Size down to whatever you want

7. Print and transfer.

To get the best results make sure all drawings are in 300 dpi or greater……..I have found 300 dpi works great for transfers.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Andrew! I find exporting as a transparent PNG works pretty well. There's no background to deal with and PNGs are uncompressed/lossless.

Latest posts

Sponsors