18th century King Louis XV rifle

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dan,Thanks for sharing the photos of the rifle,I was surprised to see the portrait of King Louis XV. J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it just fascinates me how a gun like that can have so much pretty impressive engraving and still have the maker's name "Sebastian Hauschka" cut so badly. oh, geez...

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it just fascinates me how a gun like that can have so much pretty impressive engraving and still have the maker's name "Sebastian Hauschka" cut so badly. oh, geez...

I agree, the name is pretty sorry looking, however, I don't think it is cut. It looks to me that they acid etched the name at the same time that they etched the barrel to bring out the damascus pattern. You will notice that the barrel's damascus pattern is not in evidence immediately around the lettering. That shows where they put on the resist for the lettering. In any case, the lettering was poorly conceived and executed.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you may be right, Roger. it's hard to tell exactly how it was done, but the letter forms look like they were scrawled by the gunmaker's 10 yr old kid. one almost expects the "S" to be backwards... ;-)

Latest posts

Sponsors