+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cormorant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cormorant

Bonjour ŗ tous

Hereís a small plate Iíve just engraved for a friend of mine . Heís a fisherman and when the fishing season is off, he shoot the cormorant that become an invasive specie in the south of Europe.
    P1180122.jpg
    The cormorant fly up to the mountain trout streams and fish easily 500g of trout per day( 5 to 10 fish).During the winter months they are thousands and most of the rivers know their predation.

This plate is made of titanium ( 22,5X47 mm) and will be inlayed in his riffle . Right now Iíve mounted it in my grandsonís airgun.
    P1180192.jpgP1180187.jpg
    The plate is slightly curved and domed and will follow the curvature of the buttstock
    P1180172.jpg
    There are a few flowers that are anodized
    The bird is B&W engraved in the bulino style as explained in Chris de Camillis' DVD
    I donít like this bird , however I tried to catch his posture , when heís drying his wings after fishing
    P1180178.jpg
    Hope you'll like it
    Greetings
    Jean

2. Likes gcmeleak, davidshe, Cloudy, pierre, Here.is.me and 8 others liked this post
    Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Having those screws above the surface? Maybe get some flush/countersunk screws?

Next time, since it is titanium (and unless you have access to a laser you cannot put pins on the back)... you can add 4 tabs to the piece when you cut it out - bend them down, and insert them into the wood. Use a chisel the size of the tab to start them in and a rubber mallet to tap into place.

If you want to add security, serrate the edges of the tabs...

B.

4. Likes bronc, santos, medaniel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jean,I like your engraving of the bird,nice pose maybe a small fish in his beck would make a nice touch.Keep up the good work. J.J.
    JJ Roberts
    School of Artistic Engraving
    Manassas, VA

www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

jjrengraver@aol.com

6. Likes santos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work, and your friend will be pleased. These birds are becoming a problem in the USA as well, and a shooting season was begun several years ago in some States to allow shooters to try to reduce their numbers.

8. Likes santos, mitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the problem with these birds? J.J.
    JJ Roberts
    School of Artistic Engraving
    Manassas, VA

www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

jjrengraver@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Roberts View Post
    they're prolific fish-eating machines and can literally wipe out lake & river fisheries. like Canada geese, they have virtually no predators, especially in urban/suburban areas and quickly become an invasive nuisance. 30 yrs ago it was rare to see one in Denver, now some parks have hundreds of them roosting & breeding- and almost no fish anymore.
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

11. Likes Adder, bronc, JJ Roberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

a great looking piece, as well as avery nice gift.

13. Likes santos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Roberts View Post
    couldn't be worse than the humans..
    but if they are an introduced species (cant imagine why anybody would, but then, tell that to Schieffelin), they would throw off equelibrium, or if they had a historical preditor that wa wiped out, that too would mean bad luck for smelts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Brian for the good advice on a discrete mounting.
    I do have a TIG welder and could have put some invisible pins in the back, but titanium become very hard after heated and would be nearly impossible to engrave.

I have changed and put two blued screws, so the plate remains dismountable and my friend could send it back if he make some scratching in the future ( there is enough scratching in the plate made by myself )

P1180200.jpg

JJ, man I had the same idea: engraving a trout in his beck! If you look closely to the base of his neck, you’ll notice he is just swallowing the fish
    Last edited by santos; 02-15-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by highveldt View Post
    Beautiful work, and your friend will be pleased. These birds are becoming a problem in the USA as well, and a shooting season was begun several years ago in some States to allow shooters to try to reduce their numbers.
    i think the chinese used these birds to go fishing for them. somehow the fish were removed from the bird before degradation began.

17. Likes mitch liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast