Introductions to Engraving Books

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am doing a series on all the engraving:chip: books in my library. Several hundred. some overview of their contents and their usefulness at various points in ones career. My first two picks are here. I would love to hear your feedback,

https://youtu.be/9QKLF_BgWKo

[video]https://youtu.be/9QKLF_BgWKo[/video]

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The interesting thing about those two books, is they were both sought after at a later point after I had heard of their value from other sources and it took awhile to find them. . The next few books reviewed in Issue 2 will be ones that were "Had to haves" early my engraving quest, that were purchased on sight, or at least s very fast as I could raise the funds.

Any guesses on what those might be? And no, it won't be the one reviewed in the book on the video....... that one is far too ubiquitous to really need a review at this juncture in history.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Cellini book is a must read for all artisans. You will learn from Benvenuto that the trials and tribulations that artisans face today were the same in the 16th century, only magnified. It is also very entertaining reading about Cellini's misadventures fighting wars, dueling, and surviving imprisonment. I am surprised that nobody has made a movie based on his life.

Regarding the Gun Digest, I have every edition from 1944 on. What more can I say. The late editor, John T. Amber did a great deal to promote gun engraving in America. I had the pleasure of talking with him about engraving 40 years ago.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
The site finally came up, and I don't believe I have either edition. My collection isn't extensive, but there a lot of books out there still to be had. A lifetime, one would need, to obtain anywhere near what's out there not to mention the funds!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott,My favorite book is The Art of Engraving by James Meek it opened it up for us here in the U.S. to learn firearms engraving and if not for that book we would'nt be here on two forums sharing and helping others who are interested in the art. J.J.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have 2 of Cellini's books. Every artist should read them. One of them has a detailed explanation of mercury Gilding that was mentioned before in this thread.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, I am surprised that is your favorite engraving book .
Yes, it is the girl that brought so many of us to the dance,
but it left us....
walking home...
alone...
in the rain.....

hahahahahah, it wasn't that bad...... but close.

and there are so many more, more beautiful, more inteliigent, more sophisticated head turners/page turners available these days....

Last edited:

Grayson

I'll be generous to myself and say that I'm an intermediate engraver. Meek wrote my first engraving book, and I still love the pictures, particularly those of the dogs! There is one book among my 15 that has helped me more than any other, and it's not at the top of most lists (where I'd say it belongs). It has hundreds of the best photos of excellent engravings, clear diagrams and instructions on technique, helpful (and not paralyzing) advice on growing in engraving skills, teaching exercises (trace this 100 times and draw it 50), and an inspiring story of success from a modest genius. Scott. I hope you will review John Schippers' book, unless you don't like it.

gazzman151

I'll be generous to myself and say that I'm an intermediate engraver. Meek wrote my first engraving book, and I still love the pictures, particularly those of the dogs! There is one book among my 15 that has helped me more than any other, and it's not at the top of most lists (where I'd say it belongs). It has hundreds of the best photos of excellent engravings, clear diagrams and instructions on technique, helpful (and not paralyzing) advice on growing in engraving skills, teaching exercises (trace this 100 times and draw it 50), and an inspiring story of success from a modest genius. Scott. I hope you will review John Schippers' book, unless you don't like it.

In my limited reading, IMHO John Schippers' book is one of the best for beginning engravers. the instruction & advise is wonderful.

Tsu

This is a good book and I'm going to read it before long. There's a free ebook version of it in Amazon

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Sponsors