+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default just a thought about air

there are many that have done some DIY engraving set up's of many different types and styles and I would like to think that I have seen most of them if they are posted online either with a video or pictures. what I have not seen is a DIY air controller/pneumatic oscillator. has anyone done this? instead of buying the Chinese knockoff or breaking the bank with one of the admittedly wonderful products from major company's. yes I agree, everyone should have the industry standard, however, I don't believe that one should have to pay in excess of $900.00 for something that can be roughly built and effective for a much lower price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v90yD_W9kbY

if he can do it, I can. and if I cant I will save the money up and stop being so cheap, but I know that it is possible to build one for yourself if the parts can be sourced.

2. Likes dogcatcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I wouldn't build that for $900.00.

Post Thanks / Like

Any goober can cobble a device together from cheap parts sourced on ebay and then break his arm trying to pat himself on the back while crowing about his success. That ain't why a commercial unit costs $900. It's also why cheap people are seldom successful in business. Their product usually mirrors their mindset.

Post Thanks / Like

In the over ten years that I have been a member of this forum and others, I have read the posts of many folks who spent countless time building their own engraving tools. Their every post was about tool building and which tool to use for each aspect of engraving. Usually these were very clever people with a high mechanical aptitude and I was somewhat impressed with the equipment they created. In most all cases, the missing element was the art and engraving. By the time they were done tinkering with their tool building they had burned out on the whole idea of becoming an accomplished engraver and moved on to their next hobby where they could build more tools. The long time members of this forum can probably recall some of the long forgotten tool builders to whom I refer.
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers series of books.
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

Post Thanks / Like

Follow Shaun Hughes on YouTube, his method is easier to cobble together and it works good. $30 for the compressor, $15 for a converter, $8 for a Rolson multi use screw driver and some machine work with a drill press, add some miscellaneous hoses and extra parts. Less than a $100, it also makes a pretty neat powered woodcarving chisel set up.

7. Likes Steve L S, Brian Marshall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yall are awfully hard on someone just having a thought... I kind of expected something different. I was asking if someone had done it and maybe what their experience was, as far as cobbling something together. sir I will have you know that I don't build cheap or ill-conceived plans, I was having a thought and wanted to go to the place where a community of people get together to do just that, have thoughts. and you are correct that "ain't why commercial units cost $900" they cost $900 dolors because between parts, labor, and profit, that is their bottom line. but if I can understand my equipment to the point to where I can build it around my customized parameters with an added benefit of possibly saving me one or two dolors, however knowing how small technical projects like this can go, I am sure that it will cost more. so how about yall take all that judgment somewhere else while someone tries to get input on a thought. and if this is not a welcome remark to the situation in which no hostility was saught or encouraged, then I will remove myself from the situation gladly, however, I will not be disrespected or called cheep, not when you don't even have a clue as to who I am. To be clear when said "I will stop being so cheap" I was joking of course.

all my best
    Last edited by Bryant; 02-12-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Bryant
    I can't speak for the membership but only myself. I too love to 'tinker' with our engraving tools. The time spent is mine to spend.
    I will say however that the commercial tools that are available to the engraving community have been constructed to allow the engraver the greatest flexibility to accomplish a variety of tasks with the least amount of tinkering therefor allowing us a greater amount of our time for engraving. If however anyone is so inclined to build a better mouse trap than go for it. You may come up with the next great tool.

10. Likes bronc, gcleaker, vdrum4250, dogcatcher, Bryant and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to make a lot of tools and did a lot of casting for years. Then one day I asked myself this question. Do I want to be a engraver and a gun maker or do I want to be a foundry worker and who is the most famous foundry worker in history. Well, There are no famous foundry workers and I want to be an engraver because of the love of art. If you spend your life making machines you will never achieve success at engraving. You won't have the time to do both in my opinion. Building stuff is fun. Engraving is more fun. I am just recovering from a very serious illness and am back to engraving again. I love it. Thank God.

12. Likes bronc, gcleaker, speeedy6, Dave London, Bryant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am retired, I have no plans on turning this into a new career. I am here for the fun of it. Any dollars I save on this trip is welcome, I have absolutely no use for a $900 machine. My $100 cobbled together piece of work is good enough for me, as is my sharpening jig, and my homemade power hone. If I wanted to become a professional engraver, I might save my pennies, and buy better equipment, I might even take a few classes. But I am not, and I like to tinker with making stuff. So why spend the money when my tinkering and creations will get the job done to my satisfaction.

14. Likes dave gibson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't go that route, but I did adapt my airbrush compressor to my air tank and it will reach 90 psi in the tank. Works okay, but the time spent fiddling with it, chasing down parts not on hand and throwing the oily refrigerator compressor away from the first adaptation was not worth the effort. I'm saving for a California Air Compressor to sit under my bench. The airbrush adapted contraption will stay under my modeling bench where it belongs. (I'm getting too old for this fiddling business!!!)

Bill
    Last edited by Big-Un; 02-12-2018 at 09:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast