just a thought about air

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
What I don't like seeing is the cases that Roger has mentioned. People who's sole focus is the tools. Given that art is the most important part of engraving, I'd prefer to see a beginner work on artwork for a year while saving money for tools. In that way when he finally starts cutting he'll be one step ahead of the game.

If nobody had ever been interested in the tool designs, you wouldn't have the GRS and Lindsay tools to use. The road to success in the engraving field has left many people with a lot less money after they have bought the best, and then realized that engraving was not their calling. Even hobbyists have spent a lot of money to only to let their stuff either gather dust or be sold for pennies on the dollar.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
If nobody had ever been interested in the tool designs, you wouldn't have the GRS and Lindsay tools to use. The road to success in the engraving field has left many people with a lot less money after they have bought the best, and then realized that engraving was not their calling. Even hobbyists have spent a lot of money to only to let their stuff either gather dust or be sold for pennies on the dollar.

.......... and they get a great deal of their money back when they sell them because they hold their value and usually sell quickly.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My wife always points out that I engrave for a living. At the rate I charge, my time is better spent at the bench than repairing the washing machine. From my point of view there are 3 manufacturers of engraving systems that will do anything you want and more. I can't imagine needing to build something to suit your parameters unless you are already an accomplished engraver who has some special technique that none of the current offerings will help you with. Other than saving money, I can't think of a reason to do this. If I was only doing this as a hobby, I would use hammer, chisel and burin. I quite enjoy that. I can work much faster with pneumatic with no loss of quality and in many cases improved quality. So that leaves one reason that I can think of to mess about with air. Just for the joy or building your own tools. That in itself is a worthwhile endeavor. What I don't like seeing is the cases that Roger has mentioned. People who's sole focus is the tools. Given that art is the most important part of engraving, I'd prefer to see a beginner work on artwork for a year while saving money for tools. In that way when he finally starts cutting he'll be one step ahead of the game.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
When I first started I was using the barest of equipment. I wasn't behind in orders. I made my own equipment to fit my needs and make it more efficient. I made over $20,000.00 worth of equipment for less than $1500.00. I would have to work along time with less efficient equipment to buy all that. The first time my $1000.00 belt sander broke it took 2 weeks and $150.00 to fix it. It took two evenings and less than $100.00 to make a replacement. I liked it so much better I sold the $1000.00 sander and made 2 more sanders. I have been using the equipment for years and if it breaks, I can fix it very fast and inexpensively. I am now behind on orders so it is cost prohibitive to make some equipment I can purchase.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
A very successful business man in my area told me when I started my first business if you have more time than money make what you need, when you get to the point you have money but no time buy it.