+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gold prices

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing about gun prices, I went to the Army/Navy surplus store in 1957 at 12 y/o and bought a M-1 carbine for $10.00, and I was by myself, my mom had a fit! My dad drove me back to the store and he bought another one.

2. Likes gcleaker, mitch, DakotaDocMartin liked this post
    Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, and 13 cents for a pack of cigs and 90 cents for a quart of good rum...ain't nostalgia neat!
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

"ain't nostalgia neat!"

The problem is that the actual age necessary to have that nostalgia ain't quite so neat...

B.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fegarex View Post
    Somewhere I read where the price of a Colt SAA was originally the price of a $20 gold coin (one ounce) and seemed to pretty much stay that way through the ages. I know this was true in the 1960s, 80s and 2000s anyhow. of course it goes up and down but was pretty close.
    remember the DCM ? one could buy any quantity of used 1911 a1's for 20 to 25 bucks !! same quality now-- 7- 800 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes Sandy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold was set at $35/oz by FDR in 1933, right after he made it illegal to own. Prior to that it was pegged at $20.67/oz. No one still alive remembers it less than that.

9. Likes Roger Bleile liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtsport View Post
    Gold was set at $35/oz by FDR in 1933, right after he made it illegal to own. Prior to that it was pegged at $20.67/oz. No one still alive remembers it less than that.
    You're right. I erred!! I was thinking we paid $16 an ounce at the base craft shop in Viet Nam. I wish I would have made more rings when I had the chance......big heavy ones.

I did buy the wife a 96 piece set of Noritake fine bone china edged with platinum for something like $35. She broke a saucer back in the 80's and the replacement from Marshall Fields was $67. We don't use it much anymore. I wonder if I should bust it up and recover the platinum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry K View Post
    Funny thing about gun prices, I went to the Army/Navy surplus store in 1957 at 12 y/o and bought a M-1 carbine for $10.00, and I was by myself, my mom had a fit! My dad drove me back to the store and he bought another one.
    In the 60's, when the NRA liquidated military stockpiles of .30 M1 carbines, dad got one for $26.00 as I recall. I still have it. 1911's were $18.00.
    "Doc" - Neal L. Martin

NRA Patron Life Member
    "Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas." - - "Itís Never Too Late To Be What You Might Have Been"

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, I still have mine. I gave $20 for it through the NRA.My family and our friends ordered 24 of them and 10,000 rounds of ammo. Bought a British 303 for my first deer hunt with Bannett and gov sling for $5 at Zinix Sporting goods.

Used to but one ounce rounds for $2.95 when I started doing silver-work.

Those were the days.
    Want to learn to engrave, "cut an inch a Day every Day" Jim Small
    Fred Marrinan

13. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marrinan View Post
    Bought a British 303 for my first deer hunt with Bannett and gov sling for $5 at Zinix Sporting goods.
    Dad gave me a very nice BSA .303 British when I was 13. It was made in 1918. I still have it 52 years later.
    "Doc" - Neal L. Martin

NRA Patron Life Member
    "Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas." - - "Itís Never Too Late To Be What You Might Have Been"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2