Question: Magnification

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I engraved for years with a camera and and TV. Loved it. I needed a better TV to make it clearer. Bought a scope instead. I could make a 3/4 inch disc as big as a dinner plate and sit in any position I liked.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I drove to visit Gary, looked through his scope, not a tremendous amount of difference. One thing I have done that has helped a lot is that I bought a used drill press and adapted it to my bench. So it is now all solid. This has helped a lot, but I still have trouble centering the scope over the turntable. Maybe if I keep at it I will get it so I can use it. Right now I can do better with the opti-visor.
I would like to thank all who have helped me in this enbrver, especially Gary.

takedeadaim

You must do the centering procedure with your scope and turntable or it will drive you nuts every time. There is also a procedure to set the focus on the scope. You will struggle to work until you get that right.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Carl,

One thought that occurred to me was that you really need to be in a comfortable position when you sit at a microscope. You have to adjust the scope to your seated position, so you don't hunch your shoulders or have to stretch your neck to see through the oculars. And then, you have to get your work in a comfortable position so you can do the work, and also have a good view from the scope. It's kind of a juggling act to get you, the scope and your work all herded up and going in the same direction. If you're not in a comfortable position, you'll be OK for a few minutes and then your body will want to get more comfortable and you won't be able to hold that position. Some combinations for magnification, working distance and working comfort just don't work out very well and take a mixture of patience and practice to get to a workable solution. It's never just one thing, it's always a few variables, and that can be a challenge. Sometimes I'll see someone craning their neck or leaning way forward or back, and I know it just can't be comfortable, and it usually shows in the work. With everything set up correctly, you should be able to work for extended periods without strain on your joints or eyes. I hope you can find the correct combination.

Doug

monk

Staff member
in the tips section are a few, or at least there was, a few centering tricks and gadjets to make centering much easier.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I have just about got the centering thing figured out,but now I am having trouble with my eyes. Going May 3 for cataract sugery, not sure how long I will have to wait before I can start engraving again.
I have been noticing it for a while now, it’s the right eye that is the worst, I can see good for a few cuts then things gets blurry. I thought I just needed new glasses. Not the case, I dread the surgery but I’m hoping for good eyesight again. Wish me luck.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Went through the cataract surgery last summer/fall and am pleased to say it was not such a big deal. Vision was blurry for a couple of days then smoothed out. The biggest surprise was the change in colors...white was really white again and the sky so nice and blue! I was even legal to drive without glasses after both had been done but having astigmatism I opted to wear glasses...makes for good round scroll work. I would say don't worry about the surgery.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, I’m hoping for the best. It’s just hard on me to have to wait to engrave again.

tolesh

the surgery is most pleasant you will have and the results are even better. Relax and enjoy. the drug they use (what ever it is) is great.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
During the first, while the doctor was working on my eye, I was seeing a marvelous kaleidoscope of colors...most interesting! The second not so much but still interesting. I was glad I passed on the more expensive astigmatism correcting lens because when I was later tested for glasses, the operation had reduced my astigmatism by about half. I think even the doc was surprised.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the encouragement, I need all I can get. I am having a terrible time seeing the computer screen today.

JJ Roberts

I went through cataract surgery three years ago and had tork lens put in and only need reading glass's for reading and opterviser for engraving,had a microscope but found it hard to work with. J.J.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I may be in the same boat with the microscope, I’m still not sure I will be able to use the scope. But I’m sure gonna try hard to use it. I was using, a #5 lens in my opti-visor and used to see pretty good, then things went down hill from there. All. I can do is hope for the best.. thanks for the incouragement.

Latest posts

Sponsors