+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnification

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magnification

I finally bought a scope about 2 months ago, but I cannot use it. Are the engravers using a monitor to view while working? I can't get the hang of holding my head in the same spot, it's like using binoculars, they always shook around on me and this is the trouble I am having with the scope. If anyone has any idea of what I can do, please advise.
    I look at video's and it looks so easy to see your work, that's what made me ask the question, are you using a camera to view while engraving.
    If I can't get it to work for me I am going to take a loss and sell the scope.
    Thanks to anyone that can help.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

CRW: Get a headrest. GRS sells them for their scopes.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, make sure the microscope stand is as sturdy as possible. I've tried the adjustable ones and there's too much give in them for me.

My turntable stand is bolted to the floor and the microscope stand is bolted to the wall, so it's really quick to get it centered. It can swing out of the way if I don't want to use the microscope but only in an arc, so it lines back up quick.

Here's a picture of the stand I just made. It's 3/4" pipe attached directly to the wall. At the old house I thought I was smart and attached it to the ceiling (actually floor joists of the floor above) but it would shake when someone walked around upstairs. You can also see my headrest in the picture.

I drilled and tapped a hole in the front 'T' and put a threaded knob in to hold the 1/2" (I think) conduit that holds the actual microscope holder and my headrest. I think I had to slightly clear out the threads in the 3/4" T so the conduit would fit through.

The headrest is a block of cherry with one of those gel keyboard wrist support things contact cemented on after cutting it to length and putting gorilla tape on the ends.

Mike

https://imgur.com/lQ2Q64R

4. Likes Adder, CRW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice set up Mike. My microscope is solid and does not move, I built a head rest for it but still just can't seem to hold tight enough to see exactly like I would like. Guess I will keep trying for another month or so. Right now I can do a lot better work with the optiloop than the scope.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of scope? What power? What reducer lens?

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of eyepieces? some, especially older scopes, had very small exit pupils(?) that required the user to hold his head really steadyb (and could not be used with glasses). it was one the first things i noticed when i went from my old standby Olympus SZIII to a new Leica S6E. the ocular lenses were twice as big on the new scope.

are you wearing eyeglasses, too? most newer scopes & eyepieces will allow that (usually designated by a "B"), but most engravers still just remove our glasses, if we wear them. if you're trying to wear glasses, you need to roll back or remove the rubber eyecups, which are meant for bare-eye usage, otherwise your eyes will be too far from the lenses and your field of vision will be a pinpoint.
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fergarex "What kind of scope? What power? What reducer lens? "

The Scope is a SM745 AmScope Trinocula (10x Eyepieces) x (4x Objective) x (0.5X Barlow Lens) = 20x, (10x Eyepieces) 0.5x and a 2.0 Barlow lens, I am using the 5.0 for a longer working distance. The scope has a ring light. I have no trouble seeing the image clearly just cannot keep it from wobbling, H have a home made head rest on it that helped some but not enough.
    Hope this helps you understand the working conditions. Any other information you want just let me know. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by CRW; 02-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    what kind of eyepieces? some, especially older scopes, had very small exit pupils(?) that required the user to hold his head really steadyb (and could not be used with glasses). it was one the first things i noticed when i went from my old standby Olympus SZIII to a new Leica S6E. the ocular lenses were twice as big on the new scope.

are you wearing eyeglasses, too? most newer scopes & eyepieces will allow that (usually designated by a "B"), but most engravers still just remove our glasses, if we wear them. if you're trying to wear glasses, you need to roll back or remove the rubber eyecups, which are meant for bare-eye usage, otherwise your eyes will be too far from the lenses and your field of vision will be a pinpoint.
    Mitch, this has a lot of information in it that I have not tried such as rolling the eyepieces back I had not thought of that. Will try that today and see if that helps. I do wear glasses but not to use the scope.
    the scope is a AmScope SM745 I am using the 5-0 Barlow lens The eyepiece is a 10X. Please read the post above this one for a description of the scope. It has a super clear image.
    Thanks for your help.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

If you can put a camera on your microscope, I suggest to do it and connect your camera to a HD tv and try to follow your graver from TV. ın this way you can follow/watch your graver without considering position of your head and eyes. It might take some time to get used it but once you make it you will feel more comfortable.
    May God keep your graver sharp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SalihKara View Post
    If you can put a camera on your microscope, I suggest to do it and connect your camera to a HD tv and try to follow your graver from TV. ın this way you can follow/watch your graver without considering position of your head and eyes. It might take some time to get used it but once you make it you will feel more comfortable.
    Thanks so much for the advice, I may give that a try at a last resort. I'm gonna try some other things today first. Seems like that might be the answer. Yes there is a camera adapter on the scope. Any suggestions on a camera, and can it be hooked up to a computer monitor? I have a monitor setting fairly close to the scope and it can be moved to where ever I need it.
    Thanks again.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast