Could have engraved it?

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made this Navy back in the early 1980's, it was not made from plans so dimentions vary a touch, it was cut mostly from block steel with a hacksaw :shock:

I think I was just learning to engrave at the time, but I made the choice not to engrave it and leave it in it's original state, I don't think I would engrave it even today?

Phil

Colt copy 1.jpg

Colt copy 2.jpg

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice Phil. I'm always amazed with what people can do with hand tools. Engraving it would certainly be a personal decision given the history. But for me engraving and guns go together like food and bacon. Everything is better with bacon!

Dan

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
You must have had a lot of "spare" time back then. There is something very satisfying about starting with chunks of raw material and hand-working them into a well made piece like this.

I recall buying a piece of steel approximately 2.5" X 8" X 1" years ago with the intention of removing the material I didn't need to make a Twigg style flint lockplate for my wife's rifle. Then a company came out with a complete lock and now I use the steel to hold my book (The Oxford Popular History of Britain) open at the breakfast table.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing that such a gun can be made with basic tools. Did you take gunsmithing lessons from the smiths in Dara, Pakistan?

Was your 1851 Navy sacrificed on the alter of political correctness when Whitehall banned all handguns?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is truly amazing. How did you rifle the barrel? Also how did you bore the cylinder? You must have had a lathe at least.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful craftsmanship Phil
Jerry the first lathe was made with hand tools, sand castings , files , scrapers, etc. MTC

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's an Adams I also made back then, with a hacksaw and with the help of a lathe, this is when I was teaching myself to engrave!

1.jpg

2 pro.m.jpg

ADAMS PLAN c.jpg

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Impressive isn’t it where the will overcomes the way? A few basic tools and the application of the mind can create such ingenuity as to overwhelm the senses.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To answer a couple of questions, the trigger guard was cut from one piece of steel, if I remember right it was 5/8" thick, after the cutting, it was filed to the right profile and then finished with various grades of wet & dry.

I made Both the Navy and Adams cylinders, however, I found a piece of old round of the right diameter for the Navy, it was already pitted so I left this on.

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors