Browning A5 Ultimate...anyone engraved one?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Good morning,
Have a potential client is asking me to engrave a Browning A5 Ultimate. Aluminum Alloy with a Satin finish...Has anyone cut one of these? I do find myself being concerned about maintaining the satin finish in and around the design. Thoughts?

Donny

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Donny,I've engraved and restored engraving on many Browning A5's made of steel but never one made of aluminum,what kind of finish is on the gun? J.J.

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Here is the finish on the shotgun. His is the same weapon MINUS the factory embellishment shown here. Im sure this example isn't hand engraved....

Donny

Attachments

• cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg
    cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 169

JJ Roberts

Donny, Is there any factory engraving on the gun?you should'nt have any problems engraving just be careful and not make any mistakes, repairs will not be easy. J.J.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
This is a very close pic of the side...appears to be done by some other means than by hand...

If anyone has any experience with these aluminum bodies please let me know...

Donny

Attachments

• Browning-A5-Ultimate-011820-856.jpg
    Browning-A5-Ultimate-011820-856.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 140

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Though the receiver on this gun may be aluminum, it may be plated or anodized. I suggest you contact Richard Hambrook who is a Browning factory engraver in Missouri. He probably knows.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Also Donny, if you do engrave aluminum use a good anti seize lubricant or the aluminum will stick to the face of the tool which will then want to wander away from where you want it to go.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have engraved some aluminum fly reel bodies that are 6061 alloy. It is gummy and you need to use aluminum tapping fluid for lube so it doesn't gall so much.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks SamW & silverchip...I contacted Richard Hambrook like Roger suggested. He said, "That model is an anodized aluminum. The finish cannot be re-anodized. The only option you have is to polish it all off and clear coat the whole thing when you’re finished". I advised the client and he said that he would rather not go that route....Then asked if I would do up his pistol real nice...pulls out a 7" SAA (now mind you he is standing across the room)...my mind is saying "now this I know can be cut"....UBERTI EMF in 45LC :( (not a Colt)...we discussed his vision and then I told him the cost of my work (to include the gold!)...I thought for sure he was gonna lose his mind :) , but he said what can you do if we stay under $XXX.00. Told him. I now have the pistol and the deposit. So lemonade outta lemons....

I greatly appreciate the help from JJ, Roger, SamW &silverchip... One of the best things about this community is everyones willingness to share their knowledge and opinions...

Donny

Last edited:

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Just to mention it...there is another option on the aluminum frame. After polishing and engraving it can be electroless nickel plated. There are solutions for that. Did that once and it came out really nice. But a lot of work.

JJ Roberts

My advice would be to stay away from any firearms made of aluminum,your only asking for problems.:beatup: J.J.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I have done quite a few aluminum rec. I just polish the finish off and engrave cuts like silver and when done ink and coat with some varnish. I have a few of my own guns that I did and use them a lot and have held up great.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Though the receiver on this gun may be aluminum, it may be plated or anodized. I suggest you contact Richard Hambrook who is a Browning factory engraver in Missouri. He probably knows.

Thanks Roger for providing a contact name, you just beat this kind of information.
I would rather attempt something great and fail than attempt to do nothing and succeed.