Question: Magnification suggestions?

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi all.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what you think would be a good idea to have on hand for students to use.

I have run two classes and no one wanted to use the optivisor. One day I expect I will invest in scopes but i was thinking what else could be used between now and then.

Feel free to go on about other good stuff to have when teaching too :) cheers

Danae

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Danae,

What was their problem regarding the Optivisor ... not able to see with it, messing up the hair, not cool enough or just wanting to upgrade to the scope?

I can't think of anything between the opti and the scope - I guess you could suggest that the students might want to provide their own method of magnification.

best of luck with your classes,

Roger

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Surgical glasses might be in between? I haven't tried it out, .. they can have some pretty serious magnification.. not sure working distance?

But i think using scope or optivisor, the potential for magnification are pretty similar. So it's just two different ways of loooking.... optiviser is more dynamic in how you look.. the scope is far more ergonomic.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Optivisors are dioptic as in reading glasses. They allow one to focus closer. The 'scopes give actual magnification. The students will have to get used to what ever they end up with. I find the optivisor to be second nature. But of course, 40 plus years of use may have a bit to do with that. I don't like the ridged posture required for using a scope...I prefer being able to apply "body English" to my cutting.

PS...we missed you at the Vegas meeting!

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I been using optivisors for over 40 years try using a scope and just could'nt get use to it here's a company that sells optivisors that are very light on your head,eHobbyTools.com 4 Tupelo Lane Langhorne,Pa.19047 phone 215-750-9016.:thumbsup: J.J.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I wouldn't suggest surgical/dental loupes. Even a low power one will give you a major headache trying to stay focused within the small depth of field. And the good ones are very expensive. Optivisor or scope are still the best solutions.

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]i use a magnifier, I have a scope but don't like the narrow field of view sorry about the rotation of the images this sit dose that

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 329

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep. Narrow field of view and lack of ease in comprehension between what you're doing and connecting it to what you're seeing is my concern besides the money (don't know if that makes any sense to you)

Thanks Sam, I missed seeing y'all there too.

Ok. Two students first course. One came with his own surgical goggles... he had a bad neck though and it probably wouldn't have mattered what we used. The other guy liked the magnifying lamp over the optivisor.

Same with the third student. Oh the lamp is nice.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I don't know of even one serious engraver that uses a magnifying lamp to engrave on a regular basis.
Optivisors and the like or powerful reading glasses are the best things with the shortest learning curve if the engraver is using hammer and chisel.
The scope is good if you can afford it and are push or power engraving.
Surgical eye loupes are OK but very hard to hold your head steady long enough to keep them in focus for as long as required for engraving.
Another inexpensive and great option is the Opticaid made by Edroy Products, Nyack, NY, USA.
They clip on to your glasses or if you don't regularly wear glasses, on to a set of low power reading or plain glass glasses.
They hinge up out of the way when not needed.
Opticaid's are available with a 20 inch working distance at 1.5 mag power or up to 3.5 power with a 4 inch working distance.
Also available with a 14, 10, 8 and 6 inch working distance with various magnification ranging from 1.75X-2.75X.
Very light, small and inexpensive. Handy with nothing around your head.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I once had my optometrist make me some glasses with my prescription for close work, in the 4-5" range and they gave me a headache right quick. I think I was looking cross eyed through them. The optivisor or microscope is much, much better for working for long spells.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
If they aren't willing to use an optivisor, do they really want to learn to engrave? Cause you need more than a little fortitude to make it in this game. JMO.

Stewart

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Surgical glasses might be in between? I haven't tried it out, .. they can have some pretty serious magnification.. not sure working distance?

But i think using scope or optivisor, the potential for magnification are pretty similar. So it's just two different ways of loooking.... optiviser is more dynamic in how you look.. the scope is far more ergonomic.

The advantages of the surgical glasses are, working distances, they are ground to work with prescription glasses, but the magnification is limited. And the cost of quality is very pricey $500.00 plus.
A focused mind is one of the most powerful forces in the universe.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
The road to success in the engraving field is filled with the bodies of those that have quit along the way with their equipment being sold for pennies on the dollar. If they don't have the motivation with an Optivisor, they won't be any more successful with anything else.

This is true in a lot of the arts, people go in hell bent to leather spending foolishly on tools and toys. Just to let them collect dust until they start a new endeavor, then they go up for sale as used tools, to fund the next adventure. Quite a few of my tools have been purchased this way, half price is my usual buying point, or I do without, or try to make my own.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Dani Girl, I think your students don't like an Optivisor due to the (short) working distance. Once I followed hand push classes for 1 year (1 evening a week with Optivisor#4 lense). Always drove home with a headache afterwards. Used the same lense for my first coin carvings & engravings. Later on, I bought an extra #5 lense for continueing practice at home (#5 = an even shorter working distance). Then I purchased a stereo-zoom Amscope with boom stand. Not the best scopes but affordable & way better to work all day (a more ergonomical head & neck position indeed). Now I only use my Optivisor for sketching on small objects and for larger work (motorcycle engravings). Tell your students they're spoiled!:rolleyes:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did Dani Girl see or use any of this information ?????????

Thanks John. Sorry I drop out for weeks or months at a time. I read all the earlier posts before my last class... then things got pretty busy this end.

I do tend to agree with what's being said; students refusing to use the optivisor (half of them to even try putting it on) ... that's a pretty quick surrender. Maybe I will sound more worth listening to when I am older

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know of even one serious engraver that uses a magnifying lamp to engrave on a regular basis.
Optivisors and the like or powerful reading glasses are the best things with the shortest learning curve if the engraver is using hammer and chisel.
The scope is good if you can afford it and are push or power engraving.
Surgical eye loupes are OK but very hard to hold your head steady long enough to keep them in focus for as long as required for engraving.
Another inexpensive and great option is the Opticaid made by Edroy Products, Nyack, NY, USA.
They clip on to your glasses or if you don't regularly wear glasses, on to a set of low power reading or plain glass glasses.
They hinge up out of the way when not needed.
Opticaid's are available with a 20 inch working distance at 1.5 mag power or up to 3.5 power with a 4 inch working distance.
Also available with a 14, 10, 8 and 6 inch working distance with various magnification ranging from 1.75X-2.75X.
Very light, small and inexpensive. Handy with nothing around your head.

Hey John, wanted to let you know that I purchased a pair of these Opticaids you mentioned with a 3.5 power. They actually are a real nice addition to my engraving tools. Probably similar to using my #10 Optivisor but so nice and light! I like to have them handy for quick looks while I am sharpening and taking watches apart. Thanks for the suggestion!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks John. Sorry I drop out for weeks or months at a time. I read all the earlier posts before my last class... then things got pretty busy this end.
I do tend to agree with what's being said; students refusing to use the optivisor (half of them to even try putting it on) ... that's a pretty quick surrender. Maybe I will sound more worth listening to when I am older

You're welcome Dani Girl.
Just remember.....Albert Einstein was worth listening to when he was 14 year old.
Age has nothing to do with it, you have the information they need and are willing to share with them
If they won't listen show them the door. Why waste your valuable time.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hey John, wanted to let you know that I purchased a pair of these Opticaids you mentioned with a 3.5 power. They actually are a real nice addition to my engraving tools. Probably similar to using my #10 Optivisor but so nice and light! I like to have them handy for quick looks while I am sharpening and taking watches apart. Thanks for the suggestion!

You are more than welcome David.
I have mine clipped on to a low cost, low power set of drug store readers and can do a big part of my engraving and sharpening using them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors