1870 Spencer Engraving Machine

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone have any information on this machine? I have been given one to restore and I can't find nary a peep on the interweb beyond a write up in the JULY 30, 1870 Scientific American and the patent application. Help?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
gtsport,You may want to call the U.S. patent office in Washington D.C.,my friend Bob Sears who wrote articles for the NRA spent many hours at the patent office doing research on firearms. J.J.

Last edited:

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
Looks like a very elegant antique pantograph. What condition is it in and what type of restoration are you being asked to perform?

Best regards,
Gary

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Actually, the picture is of the patent model and it is in a museum.

It has surface rust and a few missing pieces. It is slightly different than the model that was given to the patent office, the platens are mounted differently. The restoration request was more like, "hey, you want to fix this up", so it will be along the lines of sandblast, paint, replace a few parts and display it on a shelf. what the picture doesn't show is that there is a cord that goes from the tracing stylus to the cutting point that allows the cutter to rotate when you rotate the tracer. This way it roughly mimics a graver rotating around as you cut curves.

monk

Staff member
imagine the uproar amongst engravers when that gem hit the market !!! it would be nice for some of those folks to "come back" and take a stroll thru engraving studios today.