Seiko SKX Watch Case Back

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Commissioned Seiko SKX case back. Before anyone gets uptight (even though this is an original design I came up it’s obviously inspired by Tom Sterlings work) I did contact Tom directly and talk to him about this design before I proceeded. Tom graciously told me he had no problems with it and to go for it. Mad respect to you guys engraving/carving/cutting the harder metals. I had only done this kind of work on softer materials before. Talk about an eye opener. The customers budget was very low and I came out WAY on the losing end for profit but way ahead on learning so I’m calling this project a wash. Overall I give the final work a C- but for the time I did it in (about 25 hours) and the unexpected hardness of the metal I’ll take it.

……Because the quality of the work is so low I hesitated to even show this here. I hate taking jobs that I know I can’t, for one reason or another, put maximum effort into but felt there might be a lesson somewhere in here for anyone new or starting out.

Attachments

• skx-case-back-9-1.jpg
    skx-case-back-9-1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 209
  • skx-case-back-9-2.jpg
    skx-case-back-9-2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 208
  • skx-case-back-9-3.jpg
    skx-case-back-9-3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 210
  • skx-case-back-9-4.jpg
    skx-case-back-9-4.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 213
  • skx-case-back-9-5.jpg
    skx-case-back-9-5.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 210
  • skx-case-back-9-6.jpg
    skx-case-back-9-6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 211
  • nick-layout2.jpg
    nick-layout2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 212

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
The finished case back looks fantastic. The step-by-step photos are interesting. What is the purpose of the copper inlay, as it doesn't show in the finished product?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
exceptionally scary stuff you did there. i never saw a steampunk fish. always wondered what they looked like.

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
The finished case back looks fantastic. The step-by-step photos are interesting. What is the purpose of the copper inlay, as it doesn't show in the finished product?

Thanks but am not sure about your question. The eye is copper inlay in the finished product.

Latest posts

Sponsors