Possible sharpening jig?

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone seen this or know what it is?

0-320 Degree Precision Angle Measuring Finder Universal Bevel Protractor Tool

/Users/dgibson/Desktop/safe_image.php.jpeg

Looks like something that could possibly be used to sharpen gravers. It's from "Banggood" one of those cheap Chinese sites that sells everything,,, and cheap. Often the merchandise is unusable worthless junk but sometimes with some adjustments they can be useful. Just wondering what anyone might know anything about this thing,, under $30.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i don't know how it might be converted to a sharpening jig, but i want one. ;-)

i do have an old genuine Starrett version of one of these: https://www.banggood.com/0-360-Stai...s=detail-left-hotproducts__1&cur_warehouse=CN

and have wondered how it might be applied to sharpening gravers. it's been some years, but it seems like i was thinking along the lines of using it as a separate precision angle setting tool on a more conventional jig, not a complete integral unit.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks well made and precise. with a decent system, grs or lindsay, such a tool wouldn't be needed. i'd think an ordinary (inexpensive) protractor would allow one to make jigs/fixtures for diy sharpening

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave,I used a protractor to check the face & heel on my gravers that when we sharped all the gravers by hand on stones with different grits. J.J.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the input fellers, it seems to have potential but it would take a brain superior to mine. Also keep in mind so many of these items are completely worthless.,,,, Maybe when I have a little more glad money I can experiment.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have one of these that was made by brown and sharp, a much older one like myself. I think I saw one of these in the last grizzly catalog. Or maybe Brownells.

Latest posts

Sponsors