Advice on engraving overlays

borderbasser

Happy New Year every one and thanks to everyone who contributes here. I just wanted to show a few images of my recent projects. I made myself a power engraver and that has really stepped up my abilities since my first buckle I posted. However, I am having a terribly difficult time engraving a flare or bevel to the edges of overlays and would like any advice I can get. Unrelated, I am also posting a bracelet that I just finished for my wife that I'm pretty proud of. I know it's not top shelf, but its progress! Thanks!

T.J.

Attachments

• 1513541648549.jpg
    1513541648549.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 388
  • 20180102_095337.jpg
    20180102_095337.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 392

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work TJ, I'm still looking for a niche to sell my products in. Horse and rider stuff is very cool but too big for my tiny workspace but I keep plugging away at it.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
T.J., looks like you are off to a good start. As far as your question about beveling edges on overlays ~ here are a couple tips. I'm guessing you know that all you do is run along with flat graver cutting the bevel. Your graver needs to be well polished. The more square the edges are on your mountings, the easier it is to do. If you over buff and round the edges, it's a son of a gun to cut a good bevel. Sterling is much easier to bevel than nickel. The main secret to doing it is to just keep doing it till you get comfortable at it. Good luck!

Stewart

borderbasser

Gents, I thank you very much for the responses and thank you very much Monk regarding the bracelet. I think I may post some more pictures of it for a critique request. I am very proud of it at this stage. I saw a video of a fella beveling some scroll overlays on a bit and it just looked too easy. It appeared as if he was using one side of a 120 degree square engraver and transitioning from interior work, flowing out to and around the edges to "soften" them. My problem very well may be that my edges are not as crisp at that point, because keeping the edge of the graver in the cut and not riding out of it seems to be my issue. By the way Stewart, your work is fantastic, and I frequently study it for inspiration.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
It's just a thought, but you may want to cut out your inlays completely, then mount your bird's beak to your bench and file all edges to the bevel you want. You can leave the edges sharp, or almost so. You might have minimal solder to clean up, if any at all. You wouldn't have as much worry this way, I'm thinking!

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, these bevels are best cut with a polished graver, which produces a 'bright cut' bevel all the way around the border of the overlay. It takes some work to become proficient at it, but once the skill is mastered it's easy enough and very efficient.

Stewart

Latest posts

Sponsors