Where do we get inspiration?

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, Phil...Must be tough sleeping with all those ducks flying through!
Fabulous work as always!!

Weldon

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
So, what you saying Phil is you were laying around in an ornate bedroom some were (I will not ask were either) and you just happened to be looking around and had this great aha moment? I have been looking in all the wrong places again.
Skill comes from diligence.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why are inspirations like a battery recharged? Adding energy and confidence, and making people prove that with the right encouragement, you will often find, the hidden potential you always had, climbs out of your bones, and becomes a sight of the mind, and not the body alone?

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So, what you saying Phil is you were laying around in an ornate bedroom some were (I will not ask were either) and you just happened to be looking around and had this great aha moment? I have been looking in all the wrong places again.
Not quite :) as I mentioned, it's my bedroom....but I share it with my wife:biggrin: it's the case of, when a gun is ready for engraving, these designs come to play, it's the same when we're out and about, ideas are everywhere, we just have to look and remember....they might come in handy one day, it's like mdegraver said, it's like storage in a battery!

Phil

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In the south we would call that a fancy-ass bedroom! Seriously, to be surrounded by such excellent ornament is a good thing!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, the furniture is Italian and was made in Como, we both love this carved ornimentation, it's also hand painted, we've had it for about twenty five years....actually, the wardrobe had to be specially made in a certain way to get it up our stairs and round a corner into the bedroom, we had to take the window out for some of it, and had to have scaffolding up to the window!!!

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that is really unfair. I've been to Europe a few times and you have wonderful and inspiring ornamental decoration everywhere and now in your bedroom............Hruuuuumph. Any building in my area that is 100 years old is likely condemned or needs to be and is better used for old barn wood frames.

Once upon a time when I taught for Glendo the class would immerse themselves in scroll for a couple of days and I would caution them that they would begin to see scroll everywhere- on carpets, wallpaper, tissue boxes, men's ties, ladies' blouses- and that's the problem. When a lady is walking towards you and you see this terrific design on her blouse you may find yourself staring trying to understand the design and memorize it. I would then gently suggest that regardless of how innocent you are in your thoughts and intentions it usually looks bad and is misunderstood by the nice lady........and often someone would sheepishly raise a hand and confirm that what I said was true.

Alas the hazards of engraving.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Not quite :) as I mentioned, it's my bedroom....but I share it with my wife:biggrin: it's the case of, when a gun is ready for engraving, these designs come to play, it's the same when we're out and about, ideas are everywhere, we just have to look and remember....they might come in handy one day, it's like mdegraver said, it's like storage in a battery!

Phil

OK Phil I am happy that you can take a little ribbing, and that is a very ornate chest. Your spouse has wonderful taste. I always enjoy your work.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your furniture inspiration reminds me of the book "Steal Like An Artist"

You don’t need to be a genius, you just need to be yourself. That’s the message from Austin Kleon, a young writer and artist who knows that creativity is everywhere, creativity is for everyone. A manifesto for the digital age, Steal Like an Artist is a guide whose positive message, graphic look and illustrations, exercises, and examples will put readers directly in touch with their artistic side.

When Mr. Kleon was asked to address college students in upstate New York, he shaped his speech around the ten things he wished someone had told him when he was starting out. The talk went viral, and its author dug deeper into his own ideas to create Steal Like an Artist, the book. The result is inspiring, hip, original, practical, and entertaining. And filled with new truths about creativity: Nothing is original, so embrace influence, collect ideas, and remix and re-imagine to discover your own path. Follow your interests wherever they take you. Stay smart, stay out of debt, and risk being boring—the creative you will need to make room to be wild and daring in your imagination.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...005750:kwd-40646764436&ref=pd_sl_6l2oi7ew1h_e

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Now that is really unfair. I've been to Europe a few times and you have wonderful and inspiring ornamental decoration everywhere and now in your bedroom............Hruuuuumph. Any building in my area that is 100 years old is likely condemned or needs to be and is better used for old barn wood frames.

Once upon a time when I taught for Glendo the class would immerse themselves in scroll for a couple of days and I would caution them that they would begin to see scroll everywhere- on carpets, wallpaper, tissue boxes, men's ties, ladies' blouses- and that's the problem. When a lady is walking towards you and you see this terrific design on her blouse you may find yourself staring trying to understand the design and memorize it. I would then gently suggest that regardless of how innocent you are in your thoughts and intentions it usually looks bad and is misunderstood by the nice lady........and often someone would sheepishly raise a hand and confirm that what I said was true.

Alas the hazards of engraving.
i was"studying" scroll the other night at the mall. she nearly beat me with her purse. too much study ? possible, i spose.

Latest posts

Sponsors