+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Work Holding

Post Thanks / Like

hi there,

after many excursions into different kind of plastics, pins, holding-materials I always come back to the good old german yellow stone setters pitch on a piece of wood, like Mike shows.
    easy to fix any shape of piece on, holding well, even with hammering/thick, hard bezel settings and with den. alcohol easy and without any traces to remove!
    ya, needs a bit to remove, but its easier & faster than removing smear of plastic, dents or damages to the piece!

greetings,
    Tako
    Last edited by Takoyaki; 12-29-2017 at 12:57 AM.

2. Likes Dave London liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr. View Post
    Came across this stuff from Australia on the net the other day. Have not seen it talked about on here. Anyone heard of or tried it? Not sure about the hot water thing to soften it back up but still looks like pretty handy stuff.

http://www.plastimake.com/
    years ago i used some plastic pellets that were heated with water. such a mess, i think i gave it away. thermoloc by grs stiill reigns supreme. reuseable perhaps forever if not overheated too much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Takoyaki View Post
    hi there,

after many excursions into different kind of plastics, pins, holding-materials I always come back to the good old german yellow stone setters pitch on a piece of wood, like Mike shows.
    easy to fix any shape of piece on, holding well, even with hammering/thick, hard bezel settings and with den. alcohol easy and without any traces to remove!
    ya, needs a bit to remove, but its easier & faster than removing smear of plastic, dents or damages to the piece!

greetings,
    Tako
    curious
    to know how well this material absorbs vibration. and where do you get the stuff. i've only seen red, and have only used the black, which i disliked

Post Thanks / Like

hi monk, hi there,

sorry, a little late...

here ;

http://j-schmalz.de/Goldschmiedebeda...ml?language=en

http://www.goldschmiedewerkzeug24.de...2/Fasserbedarf

the yellow one is harder, black is softer but the yellow one is easier to remove. sometimes i mix them.
    red is for repussee/chasing, even more soft!

i prefer the harder yellow one!

where to get it in us, i dunno! but maybe you know somebody who serves at germany
    and fly regular back home ...?!

greetings
    tako

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody tried using carpet tape as a holding device? It's supposed to work like a charm!

Post Thanks / Like

I use carpet tape for holding a variety of flat objects - it holds very tightly, and you need to be aware that you will have to pry it off. If you are holding something flexible be careful about prying/bending. If you can get and edge pried up, some denatured alcohol under the edge will help release the remainder.

Likewise, tape does not work well with a curved object like the Flask that was the the initial subject this Thread.

8. Likes mdengraver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use carpet tape all the time on flat items but make sure it is a good quality as the cheap stuff just won't hold!

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry Seymour RIP
    Told me about golf club handle double side tape, it is very thin and works great. YMMV

11. Likes mdengraver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone use double-sided engraving tape (saw it on riogrande) for holding small flat objects like copper practice plates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use a very tenacious double sided tape used by wood turners from my local Woodcrafters store. It's quite strong and as Mike said, be careful prying a flexible object off of the tape. Acetone or alcohol helps remove it. I have a steel plate glued to a hardwood block under the tape and it reduces any vibration. Usually, I can remove the object with a thin, sharp, wide wood chisel slid under the object slicing thru the tape.
    Last edited by Doc Mark; 01-07-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    Mark Sedlak

"It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right." Moliere

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast