Criticism for a newbie

mobaiz

Hey guys,
Been on this site for 2 years and have about 15-16 hours of practice engraving. Damaged my classic palm engraver within the first 10mhours of use and had to send it back to get it fixed. Money is tight so can’t take a class now but hoping to in the near future. I’d like if you guys can criticize my work so I know what I need to be working on. I know I can do better so any tips would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• 91019CCB-5F57-439F-9087-1523B343CFB9.jpg
    91019CCB-5F57-439F-9087-1523B343CFB9.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I think you are doing great for 15 hours. You have good graver control and you seem to have an understanding of leaf structure, shading and even folds. The S cut in the lower right of the design seems to roll out instead of in but that could be the lighting. Keep up the good work. But if you are looking for what to do next I would suggest stepping back a bit. How are your more traditional scroll and leaves?

Dan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It looks good from here, but you really need to shoot better and closer photos so we can see the cuts up close and personal.

C Driver

I might suggest working inside of borders, the larger percentage of you engraving will always be inside borders, so start now, you get practice engraving borders, and design practice filling them. Looks like you are getting a good start.
Charlie