Old pull

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
I have found this old pull forgotten in a box.
I made it when I was a young engraver, I had no camera. A pull was the only way to keep a trace of my work. This engraving was made for Jean Duchateau, a very fine gunmaker in Liege. The engraving was executed with hammer and chisel and hand pushed gravers in the style "Louis XVI Liegeois".

Attachments

• Duchateau plat.jpg
    Duchateau plat.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 252

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Alain,Thanks for sharing your beautiful engraving pull,how old where you when you started engraving? J.J.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
I was 18 years old when I began at the Liege Gunmaking School. Before that I had tried to study at Fine Arts Academy but, after just 3 hours in the class, I understood that I would not learn anything serious there! As the Gunmaking School was situated in the next street, I went there and I saw a completely different world, students working at their bench, not these artsy-fartsy people talking, talking and saying nothing.
Alain,Thanks for sharing your beautiful engraving pull,how old where you when you started engraving? J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It’s beautiful work Alain, even for a young master. Thank you for posting this!
Ken Hunt also used printing ink on his early pulls. I have several and the detail is perfect.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
A smoke pull or an ink pull were the only way to keep a record of the work. A good quality camera was very expensive and not so easy to use , they were for professional photographers. An ink pull takes more time to do than a smoke pull and I prefered an oil painting instead of a printing black ink which gives too much contrast.
It’s beautiful work Alain, even for a young master. Thank you for posting this!
Ken Hunt also used printing ink on his early pulls. I have several and the detail is perfect.