Why not a system 3?

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All, I have seen several threads over the years saying that the GRS system 3 is not for engraving, but mostly for stone setting. Can someone who has used both the system 3 and one of the other air gravers from GRS for engraving explain why the S-3 is not up to snuff?

Thanks,

Joe

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
gtsport,System 3 is not for engraving get anything but a System 3 get won of the better systems GRS Max,Smith Ngraver or Lindsay,I had two student come with System 3 and we spent a lot of time trying to engrave and had lots problems. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You would be better of putting that money toward a new or used GRS Gravermach or Graversmith. The S3 lacks the precise control that better machines have. Not even close.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Precision, OK, that I understand. I have a system 3, a GraverMate (the real one, not the Chinese one) and an electrically controlled setup that works like an Enset that I made. and for the most part I see no difference. however I mostly make hobo nickels and coin dies so I don't really do too much precision cutting that isn't followed up by stoning.

Thanks, Sam

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Precision, OK, that I understand. I have a system 3, a GraverMate (the real one, not the Chinese one) and an electrically controlled setup that works like an Enset that I made. and for the most part I see no difference. however I mostly make hobo nickels and coin dies so I don't really do too much precision cutting that isn't followed up by stoning.

Thanks, Sam

If you don't do precision work then I guess anything will work for you. I personally would choose hammer & chisel over the S3 for my work. I just don't like it at all, but it's not impossible for an experienced engraver to do good worth with.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I used a system 3 for years and learned to engrave with it. It was quirky would speed up and slow down on it's own after years of use I could hear it start to speed up and react to it.If you didn't your scroll had an elbow or worse. I would not recommend it to anyone for engraving guns even though that's what I did, a case of not knowing. I still use my system 3 with wood working tools for relief carving. I went with Lindsey system for the firearms.
Leland