Brass Zippo

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I'm keeping myself busy by engraving basically everything I can get my hands on.

The pic was right side up whenI loaded it??

I've always liked engraved Zippo's, I think they'll remain popular even if smoking isn't.

Attachments

• zippo, USN.jpg
    zippo, USN.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 271
  • zippo, texas.jpg
    zippo, texas.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 271

C Driver

Dave,
I think you need to slow down, and go back to drawing and get a better understanding of what good scroll design is.
Charlie

Vin

Dave Gibson,

Thank you for your photos. I too have been engraving anything I can find for practice. Even silly things like my nail clipper :)

Instead of telling you to 'just go and draw' I think it would be nicer to point you to some sources of information and specific tips.

Here are some videos on drawing scrollwork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYUn_l52dM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAbjZdbrbOg

Focus on the inner leaves, and try to make them nice and rounded (a similar shapes to the bigger scroll that surrounds them). You can find some nice ideas for inner leaf elements. Have a look at the pictures of all the talented people on this site.

I am new to engraving, but I hope my post helps you

Kind regards,
Vin

C Driver

For sources, Sam A. Has a great DVDon drawing scroll, very reasonably priced.
Also Lee Griffith has a very good DVD and book for drawing scroll.Both are full of great information and will give you a good foundation for drawing your scrolls. One from the main themes from both of these great engravers is draw, draw, draw, erase what’s not right and draw again until you get it right.
Charlie

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Vin,Thanks for sharing youtube videos,alway liked Shawn's drawing's and engraving. J.J.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Dave that reminds me of the old classic WW 2 tattoos and engraving, I believe it was Sailor Jerry and probably others. I have seen a few old things my uncles own that were engraved in such a style. Often wondered what happened to them. As well that tattoo style is still done today.

Eric

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Dave... Charlie gave good advice and was intended only to help. Continue to practice cutting but also study & draw... both will pay off in the long run.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the brass jobs are fun to work with. i have done some with a sort of chrome finish( perhaps plating ?) that were rather miserable to work on. it's been at least 2 years since i've been asked to do one.