Critique Request Two designs

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I would like some advice, please. Which of the two designs do you prefer and why? What are the good and bad points that stand out in either one?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Attachments

• compare.JPG
    compare.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 491

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
My first quick glance favors the one on the right. After a little further study I still like the right side, I think it's because the backbone is more defined, it gives a clearer picture of where things are going.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan, they are both very nice. Now rework the one on the left by darkening the shading on the elements that pass underneath and on lower level leaves and it will look much different. If you squint your eyes and look at it it has mostly dark and light without much mid tone. Think in terms of three layers of leaves/plant material minimum for a design this involved. The lowest level is the darkest and even to the point of possibly losing a few edges as they blend into the background. Midlevel will be more gray in general when you squint. The top-level will obviously be lightest. These are general guidelines when viewed with squinted eyes. The top level is fine as currently shaded. After enhanced shading it will be interesting to see the comments.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks foe the input everyone. Lee, I'll start that shading and re-post.

Dan

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Lee. I hope that I was sucessful in doing what you suggested. The original left is still on the left and the modified one is in the middle. I left the high and mid tones basically untouched and only darkened the cross overs and folds.

Attachments

• SnipImage.jpg
    SnipImage.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 362

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I like the left one for the intertwining, along with some larger leaf elements which gives it a fuller appearance. Lee's advise is all it needs/needed. Both are very pleasing.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Better. Now push it more. Since this is a learning experience push it until you know you've gone way over and then carefully consider the journey and where the sweet spot was.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan
I like the new one also BUT i have a problem looking at it now you have a very nice flow for the main scroll lines however i am losing the rythems here due to the fact that you have detailing and recurving of the leaves that to my eye is creating a confusing effect i just think you over did it a bit

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Marty, I agree that it isn't there yet. I am taking Lee's and SamW's suggestions and working on it more. I will post something in the next couple of days. Hopefully improved.

Silverchip, I would love to see that too... not this year for sure though

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Updated drawings

Ok.. the left and right are the same as the original. The center is the improved shading version of the left design as suggested by Lee. I worked to keep the mid tones but darkened the deep tones.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• final compare.jpg
    final compare.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 119

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
To me the right one draws my eye into it flows thru the middle and left seem chaotic. They all nice work thanks for posting.

Sponsors