Sam's backbone, my design

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When Sam showed the backbone sketch I took the challenge to draw my version without looking how Sam would deal with it. At first my shading didn't have enough white space, something I'm gonna take care of in the future.

Thanks for looking, arnaud

C Driver

I think you are making great strides in your shading. I really like the way you handle the centers of the scrolls. Another area that is looking better, but still needs more work, is the shading of the larger leaf forms, they need to be broken up more, with dark veins here and there, and the white spaces, to make it look like two or three leaf shapes inside of the one large leaf, this makes it much more interesting and if done right adds movement, Sam is a master at this.
It would be interesting to see you rework your shading in your very nice designed, heart and crown drawing, also don’t forget about cross hatching, especially when one form is going underneath another.
Have fun drawing,
Charlie

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Charlie for your feedback. The shading is the hardest part and not only by tone (black and whites balance) but I know they change the shape of a leaf if done in different ways. And yes of course Sam shows a lot of great designs with great shading, but that doesn't mean one can do it by looking at Sam's, at least I can't. It just needs practice and good feedback to make progress.
And I only drew less than 10 designs in Procreate till now, Sam was born with a pencil in his hand. :)

arnaud