Texas belt buckle

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
At it again, another old tattoo design with my standard scrolls. I'm getting more comfortable with this style. I also like engraving and photographing them flat, when I'm able to get the lighting right it shows everything including mistakes I need to work on. It's just as easy to dome and solder the backs on after engraving.

I plan to do lots of these things, I've been tattooing 37 years so I really enjoy those designs and the classic scrolls seem to give it engraving credibility, otherwise it could look like a tattoo artist just got a hold of some engraving tools,(because that's what it is).

I'm always wanting to do more to enhance them and trying to keep it economical at the same time. I barely make enough money to support my habit so there's not too many additions I can do, but since I'm the guy in charge I do as I please.

I'm trying to put in an hour or three everyday as suggested all over this forum and it really pays off, practice, practice.....

All comments and suggestions appreciated

Attachments

• bb:Texas 1.jpg
    bb:Texas 1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 298
  • bb: texas 2.jpg
    bb: texas 2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 295

Vin

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your pictures and sharing your cool designs.
I'm relatively new to engraving myself, but hopefully can help you out with some tips I know.

1. The small scrolls look better if the follow the same trajectory (curved shape and point of origin) as the larger scrolls.
example:

If you find this helpful, I'll edit this post to provide more tips

2. keeping the graver straight on the scroll backbones and leaning the graver on the inner scroll elements (leaves) adds a more 3D dazzling effect.

3. smaller scrolls (or maximum same size scrolls) grow off bigger scrolls - use the analogy of a plant.

4. scrolls should fill the gaps, you can do little filler elements in between scrolls - have you seen this before?

5. seed scrolls work well in spots where you are stuck about what to fill with

6. Potentially you could just do larger scrolls so that you're more efficient with time. Try and get the large scrolls to fill up as much space as possible.
For example:

Kind regards,
Vin

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Vin, I'm always seeking opinions from everyone, experienced or not. I'm not sure I'm getting your advice right on this though. My reason for that scroll's shape is to fill as much space as possible. I prefer the "C scroll" over starting it behind the border or part of the design.

Yes please, if you could clarify a little more and all advice is welcome, that's why I'm posting.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have not nitpicked anybody today. so-- here goes--- i think a bit of background all around the critter would be a bit less confusing to the eye. the way you present here, the bull struggles to be seen. a way to do this would be to use smaller scroll. start from the critter and work out towards the border. as always, others may see differently.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah good advice there, now let's see if I understand all I know about this,,, I need to make the elements differ from each other visually, too much untreated space defined only by a line. I see it now that someone elses eyes pointed it out.

I tried out some background treatments here, is this the type of thing you guys are talking about? Does this work?

I think I know now what Vin is talking about with the scrolls ( I call them leaves) looking like the big scroll, I tried it at the top but now I see too much negative space.

So tell me what you see, am I getting warm or missing the boat. Please be specific about which ones work, should lines touch or fade off. I'm thinking If I had to do another I'd change the scroll layout to give the bkgd. fill a bit more room just for appearrence sake.
thanks

Attachments

• texas,xx,c.jpg
    texas,xx,c.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 226

monk

Staff member
for this, i would not use any of the smaller details at all. i'd simply go with perhaps a larger scroll in each corner. give the bull a chance to be seen. there's a book by lee griffiths that teaches the concept of design that you seem to be struggling over. i think this book would serve you very well in advancing your design skills. if you cant afford the book, i'll loan you my copy. a pm would get this done.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks monk, I have that book by Lee,,, somewhere, I lost one of the disks too. If mine doesn't show up soon I'll probably have to buy the package again. I've been tearing the house apart looking for it,, it will probably turn up after I buy a new one. I sat down to watch the 1st video by LG and my disk player doesn't work,, ggrrrr. I have Sam's video on scrolls and Ron Smith's books too.

Is this more what you're talking about monk,, leaving open space around the central image? In the case of my design maybe add some detail to the star & horns to make it stand out from the blank area that would go around it?

thx, DG

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 190
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 188

monk

Staff member
that's what i'm thinkin. although this is a bit extreme. the scroll could go closer to the critter. on a buckle that's nothing but scroll, who cares ? on one with scroll and a figure, i think the figure should have a bit of room. think of the english scroll. a jillion little scrolls, but the central figure almost always has a very clear border around it.

Vin

If anyone fancies loaning the book/DVD to your UK buddy, then please PM me :D

Kind regards,
Vin

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Vin, I really like what you did with my design, I think the larger scroll has better appearance and flow,, it matches up with the simple central design too. I have lots of designs like this I'm putting on belt buckles, I'll be trying out the big, bold scrolls, less work too.

What are seed scrolls?