FEGA 2008 engraving demonstration

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's the stainless steel bracelet I engraved at FEGA. It's made of 410 stainless and was engraved with a Gravermach with Airtact. The photo was shot at the show. / ~Sam

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam.........Stunning work and the design layout is fabulous.
I love the balance and symmetry. Also it demonstrates that a good photograph makes your fantastic work become totally awesome in so many aspects.

(Stainless sure cuts differently, doesn't it?)

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

JCB

Stainless

How thick was the stainless bracelet? How was that bracelet bent? and was it engraved before bending?

Sam

Staff member
It was inlaid before bending, and care was taken to minimize the bend in the area under the inlay.
Here's a shot before bending with the bracelet mounted in Thermo-Loc. It was bent with the GRS bracelet former at the show.

Photos by DJ Glaser with his new 12MP Canon point-and-shoot camera!

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Bracelet

Sam, Eric showed me the bracelet you engraved at the FEGA show. I was wondering was it Abigail's
birthday present? Just curious. It would certainly look lovely on her wrist.:D

Terry

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gee Sam I see potential in your work;)

Seriously really nice. Your fine line shading is unsurpassed.
You probably have to be very careful bending around the inlay.

JCB

thickness

I was just curious how thick the 410 stainless was that the GRS bracelet former was able to bend. That's pretty impressive.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks guys.

The bracelet will go in the showcase at GRS. I guess I'll have to make another one for Abigail. :)

I believe it's 18ga if I'm not mistaken.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At least! Maybe thicker; I think you maxed that bracelet former out with that stainless. It does a real nice neat job and I need to buy one soon. This beating a siver bracelet around a Sam Adams bottle has got to stop.:D

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Killer job, Sam. Beautiful bracelet. Fantastically clean.
It was a treat to see it develop as you cut it.

Bye the way.... and not to start anything......but?????
I think the Miss Abigail should have one in solid gold with a stainless inlay!
What'll you say, sport!

Best to you both, wish we could have found more time together in Reno.
John B.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

When creating this beautiful design how did you go about it? If I were to try a design like this I would have to draw the upper or lower half of the left side then using that half, transfer it to the other left half then using the completed left side transfer it to the right side to get it as uniform and exact as you have all four quarters. Did you go about it in this way or are you able to duplicate all 4 quarters of the design by eye and hand?

Thanks,

Roger

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Just curious on how 410 cut. Secondly is 416 easier or does it not like to bend. As far as your bending you did a superb job, stainless is a lot tougher to bend than mild steel. Sorry if the wife caused you extra work, but she is right it would look good on Abi's wrist.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am impressed with both the engraving and the photos. Of course, we all expect Sam's work to look that good. I mean come on, when was the last time you saw something of Sam's that was not up to par.:)

But.... for a point and shoot camera to take a photo like that is unexpected.:eek:

Ray

Andrew Biggs

HI Ray

Those 12 megapixel point and shoot cameras are pretty impressive. Rod Cameron had one at the show and the zoom capabilities on it was incredible. Quite a few now have low light functions on them as well with shutter speeds up to 1000.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for the kind words, folks. :)

Roger: Normally I would draw on the workpiece and engrave 1/4th of the design and then mirror and transfer as I go. I knew this job would take a few days to complete at the show, so I did a computer rendering of the finished piece so people could see what the finished engraving was going look like (see printouts below).

I wanted a symmetrical border so I did that in Adobe Illustrator and made a printout. On my printout I pencil sketched 1/4th of the design within the border and photographed it. I brought the photo into Illustrator, traced it and did the mirroring and made a printouts of the finished engraving as well as some outlines for tranferring. After the show setup I transferred my laser printout to the bracelet blank and began the work.

The 410 stainless steel was a breeze to engrave!

~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors