Thomas Hipschen Portrait Engraver

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ken, I wonder if Thomas Hipschen know Melody Gallipeau she engraved portraits at the bureau of printing & engraving? J.J.

Steve L S

The article mentions that Mr Hipschen is a faculty member of the intaglio engraver academy in Urbino Italy. Here is a youtube link to a video uploaded by Emily Gordon of Bruno Cereboni-Bajardi of that academy talking of their work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVGHedCA_dU

If the link does not work just go to youtube videos uploaded by Emily Gordon

JJ Roberts

When watching the intaglio videos I noticed a screen with light coming through sitting in front of the of the engraver,whats that all about? J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When watching the intaglio videos I noticed a screen with light coming through sitting in front of the of the engraver,whats that all about? J.J.

JJ- During a private (just me) tour of the Bureau of Engraving in 1993 ('94?), I met Mr. Hipschen and we 'talked shop' for about 15 minutes. In front of his workbench he had what was basically a very large light table (like drafting table size) turned up on edge, tilted forward over his bench at about a 60 degree angle. It was like having the most perfect 'north light' all the time. That's where I got the idea for my own bulino lighting diffuser set-up.

btw- he was engraving the new larger portrait of Ulysses S. Grant for the new $50, back when all denominations were being revamped. it was pretty cool to see that about two-thirds finished.

Attachments

• DSCN0781.jpg
    DSCN0781.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 106

JJ Roberts

Mitch,Thanks for that information,I have a large light table I never use and will try to set it up at 60 degree angle. J.J.