+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lindsay modified handgraver

P1000753.jpgP1000753.jpgP1000753.jpg

Lindsay hand graver, 2-screw fastener, solid stainless steel, best in the business.

Rubber or turned sycamore.

You decide. Choose wisely.

Post Thanks / Like

A very nice job, but......when a standard blank is fitted and the ball of the handle is in your palm, the graver tip is way too far out.

When I started engraving, all my tools were hand made, including the gravers, a cheap and simple way to make a graver handle is to chop off about 1.1/2" of broom handle, taper the business end..if you want, drill a hole and push the graver in, the short handle sits nicely into the palm and aids curves etc as it's flexible, a long handle isn't.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to have small to medium size hands and find it extremely difficult to control the graver when either the handle or the graver is too long. Therefore always use the "mushroom" style handle and have been known to cut graver blanks in half before mounting them. Guess we all have to figure out what works for us.

Post Thanks / Like

ditto with what he said. i'd cut it to just about what the original black rubber was. maybe a bit more fat. maybe you're holding this in some odd way, who knows. but for most of us , that is way, way too long to be controllable. jmho

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awkwardly large to me.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

:::: Leave more than you take ::::

Post Thanks / Like

i show here how i hold for push work. note that the graver tip is not far beyond the index finger. also shown is a batch of home brewed graver holders. no two are the same length. this allows me to use very short gravers, to the old style which are much longer. i made all of these except the one on the far right. a few inches or broom or mop handle suggested by phil will work. fancy not needed, utility is.
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jahn Baker View Post
    I seem to have small to medium size hands and find it extremely difficult to control the graver when either the handle or the graver is too long. Therefore always use the "mushroom" style handle and have been known to cut graver blanks in half before mounting them. Guess we all have to figure out what works for us.
    if you make handles that are very short, you'll find that the longer gravers don't need to be cut in half. i have an assortment of handle lengths which allow me to "push" with any graver i want to.

Post Thanks / Like

But you could tap the back with a little hammer, for hammer and chisel style engraving.

Post Thanks / Like

While the handle appears to be nicely crafted, it seems to be counter intuitive, to me. I use the airgravers, I find their diminutive size to be a plus, and if they were to alter the size I would want them to be even shorter! Not even one time have I ever wished they were longer!
    Study Draw Study Draw Study Draw Cut... REPEAT

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a very old Italian designed adjustable graver handle, the adjustment is fully out and the graver itself is just 20mm.

Phil

graver.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast