ion plating

Rstripnieks

I recently started to show interest in ion plating (getting stinless steel black)
but after i did some research i dint find much info only that that its widely used in jewllery.
i would like to use it in my watch engraving.
Maybe you know more about it?!!
Can this be done at home like gold plating?
what tools do i require?

are there any other ways to give stainless steel nice solid black colour? :thinking:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i can use my laser to turn ss a dense, flat black. a chemical is first coated on the metal. when dry, the laser permanently fuses the design onto the ss surface. i do this all the time, mostly for commercial use. although i have done bracelets of ss and titanium using this technique.

Rstripnieks

Thank You All for answers!
Ill definetly look into all Your advices.
Joe Jacob that seems very very similar to coldbluing im doing at my dayjob but i tried bluing stainless over there and didnt work but i may get their trial kit for experimenting.
its definetely something ,also i have idea of darkening sculpted designs with that sloution,i was looking at that before but forgot about it.
Thanks!!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i can use my laser to turn ss a dense, flat black. a chemical is first coated on the metal. when dry, the laser permanently fuses the design onto the ss surface. i do this all the time, mostly for commercial use. although i have done bracelets of ss and titanium using this technique.

a machinist friend is shopping for a laser to do part marking. i'll mention this potential use to him, thanks!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
here's a few pics. the boy is a foto i did of my grandson, done on aluminum. the bracelets are of cp titanium. the knives are ss. i'll gladly explain all the details if you send me a pm.

Attachments

• GERBERLST copy.JPG
    GERBERLST copy.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 72
  • GERBERS copy.JPG
    GERBERS copy.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 72
  • MICKEY.jpg
    MICKEY.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 73
  • TITANIUM copy.jpg
    TITANIUM copy.jpg