Cuff design

Vin

Dear Engraverscafe,

I would be grateful for some advice on my scroll design. It will be used on a sterling silver piece.

1. I wonder if there is a better way to start my scroll on the left. I am not certain a small seed scroll would improve the design.

2. If I remove the background on my engraving, would it make more sense to separate the background from the edge of the metal by a few mm?
(I intend to remove the background, stipple and potentially fill the background with black paint).

Any other suggestions for improvement would be welcome.

Kind regards,
Vin

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you do the removal, i think it's best to leave a bit of a border. not doing this may leave a less-than-desirable edge.
i would make this symmetrical about the centerline. i'm not sure what a "seedscroll" is. i would urge you to practice drawing the basic scroll before doing the actual cutting. do a dozen drawings. pick the best one and compare it to what you now have. pick the best and transfer to the metal. better be in a hurry to create a good drawing, rather than in a hurry to cut a less than stellar design. take time to enjoy this art !

Latest posts

Sponsors