Question: Questions from a newbie...

Jace Patrick

Hello everyone,

I am very new to the world of engraving but I am now addicted to this art form and I am very excited to learn.

I am seeking the advice of experts that engrave guns, watches, and jewelry. I attended Sam’s private course a couple weeks ago (thanks to my employer) and after I got back I had multiple people approach me asking me to do different jobs for them. I had a few of the security guards/local PD say that they want me to engrave their pistols. And our watchmaker has shown interest in me engraving two different Rolex watches.

I don’t want to turn down the opportunity to engrave all these items but I know I have a lot to learn before I can take these jobs on. Any advice on how I should handle this situation?

Cheers,

Jace Patrick

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tell em to check back with you in a year after taking those courses at GRS.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rolex, guns, man i would wait before i attempted those, unless thier yours, if your asking your not ready. Have not seen your work yet i might be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one can achieve a very high level of skill just by practicing. go to the local scrap yard. there's tons of practice materials there. mild steel, copper, brass, aluminun, etc. old brass lamp parts good for learning compound curves. drag an old gun out of yer closet. learn what it's like to work on the areas one finds there. cheap watches, and jewelry are excellent practice pieces. they also force one to work under the constraints of small spaces and weird shapes.
weird shapes ? lots of that for engravers. learning to design scroll to fit in places of strange shapes, that is what you'll be working towards.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two things come to mind given the two examples:
1. Are you prepared and financially able to replace that Rolex if you screw it up?

2. You don't just engrave guns. It's more complicated than that. If you receive any firearm for engraving for someone else, you will need a Federal Firearms license to receive them. You must be adept at disassembling and reassembling them, or pay someone to perform that function. They must be stripped and refinished when done. They may not be engravable or require annealing and then rehardening. If you are breaking tips just engraving soft metals, you can't even start to imagine what it's like to engrave a Ruger.

Ignorance of these things can get you into a lot of trouble, including jail time. Perhaps you should enlighten your police friends who want their guns engraved.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two things come to mind given the two examples:
1. Are you prepared and financially able to replace that Rolex if you screw it up?

2. You don't just engrave guns. It's more complicated than that. If you receive any firearm for engraving for someone else, you will need a Federal Firearms license to receive them. You must be adept at disassembling and reassembling them, or pay someone to perform that function. They must be stripped and refinished when done. They may not be engravable or require annealing and then rehardening. If you are breaking tips just engraving soft metals, you can't even start to imagine what it's like to engrave a Ruger.

Ignorance of these things can get you into a lot of trouble, including jail time. Perhaps you should enlighten your police friends who want their guns engraved.
Ohh i agree prepwork to get it ready, handsanding because of the odd shapes and crevises, man o man, and if you dont do it correctly you mess up the crisp edges or worse. I would engrave my own guns and watches if your staring for sure even a rolex their yours do as you please.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
sometime earlier this year someone posted advice about engraving "Dad's cherished gun"(?) or some such, and he went on about how many times the gun should be put back in the safe until sufficient expertise had been achieved. anybody remember who did that?

Jace Patrick

Thank you so much for all the advice, I will make sure to do that. I am planning on working on my own guns first because I want to make sure I know what I am doing. I really appreciate the advice.

Latest posts

Sponsors