Help, please: Flat graver keeps chipping

Jace Patrick

I am practicing script letters and I keep chipping my graver every few cuts. I also seem to keep getting chatter marks in my cuts. Any advice on what my setting should be at.

I am GraverMax G8 and a 901.

Thank you in advance!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jace,Sounds like your problem is the sharping of your graver,I like 116 degree or 120 degree for script lettering because of the wider face for it's strength. J.J.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
It might help if you could provide a little more information.

What is the graver size and material? What material are you engraving -- copper, brass, steel? How is the graver sharpened -- face angle, heel, polished?

Best regards,

Jace Patrick

I am using a Glensteel #44 and I am trying to sharpen it the way that Sam taught me. A 40 degree face with a 15 -20 degree heel. I am using the mild steel plates from GRS and silver. I have the face and heel polished as well.

Thanks for your help!

monk

Staff member
look at your graver after being sharpened and polished. check with a hi power (10-20x) loupe. you may find it was not totally sharp when you thought it was. the corners must be perfectly sharp. if you're cutting steel, going too deep when you roll out can cause stress on the one corner. lettering need not be deep to be effective. whatever the cause, you'll likely resolve the problem by practice.
it's quite possible to engrave with a flat that has a less than perfect corner after sharpening. using this will assure tips getting trashed. this is more easily achieved with the air assists. one will tend to just dig in harder and deeper. not needed.

Last edited:

Jace Patrick

Thank you everyone for the advice! I am very grateful for this forum!

(Side note) I have a cheap Chinese Graver Helper at home right now to practice with, at work I have the GraverMax G8. I can tell a significant difference in the quality of the cuts between the two.

Cheers,
Jace

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is my experience that chipping gravers are mostly caused by the fact that the workpiece is not mounted solid enough. The vibration seems to be the culprit.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Any graver can have flaw in the metal and keep chipping.
Cut off a 1/4 inch, resharpen and try it again.
If it still keeps chipping grind off the point and turn it around and sharpen the other end.
You said you were using Glensteel so I assume you have a flat ground from a 3/32 inch square blank?
Also try another graver with your same set-up and project.
If you keep chipping there is a good chance that your setup, metal or approach is at fault.

Sponsors