Symmetrical scroll and leaf design

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Very well done as always Sam, thank you.
And I notice you used directional light shading on the two central shells.
Do you feel it's worthwhile for most engraving work and would it increase the hours and cost?
Would appreciate your insight.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very well done as always Sam, thank you.
And I notice you used directional light shading on the two central shells.
Do you feel it's worthwhile for most engraving work and would it increase the hours and cost?
Would appreciate your insight.

Thanks John. For an engraving it would slow things down a bit as you would have to plan an execute each shaded leaf even more carefully. It could certainly be beautiful but I’m not sure it would be necessarily better. Churchill to me is the gold standard and his ornamental work is spectacular without directional lighting. For this one, I did use directional lighting on the shells as you noticed. Seems to add a bit more dimension to them.

I believe directional lighting is used on ornaments in banknote engraving and it looks great.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks John. For an engraving it would slow things down a bit as you would have to plan an execute each shaded leaf even more carefully. It could certainly be beautiful but I’m not sure it would be necessarily better. Churchill to me is the gold standard and his ornamental work is spectacular without directional lighting. For this one, I did use directional lighting on the shells as you noticed. Seems to add a bit more dimension to them.

I believe directional lighting is used on ornaments in banknote engraving and it looks great.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Sam.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

check out the four, otherwise identical, corner ornaments on the reverse of this $1,000 bill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_denominations_of_United_States_currency#/media/File:US-$1000-GC-1928-Fr-2408.jpg

(hmmm, why did that not create a clickable link? oh, well, copy-&-paste into browser window... :thinking:)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An other nice one, about shading and lightning I can see what John noticed but neither do I know if it would look better always having the light coming from one source.
In my opinion, shading look best when there is light next to dark. Realistic shading wont always look better.
Most of the time I have the light source in mind so that it makes a bit sense when looking at the overall design, but mostly it is the design that guides our eyes to follow the flow.

Anyway, I always appreciate comments on my drawings, like yours and John's, but that is it. There isn't that much feedback on digital art treads.

arnaud

Sponsors