Odd text message?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When i woke up this morning, this text message appeared on my phone (see below). i've cropped the sender's phone # off the top of the screen shot, but it's a 410 area code. Anybody else get this? Anybody have any idea what he's talking about? The set screw to WHAT? Seems like an extremely lame basis for a scam, but you never know nowadays....
:thinking:

Attachments

• TextMsg.jpeg
    TextMsg.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 323

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to contact him If it is real because I’m in the 410 area code which is Maryland. Always good to meet local engravers

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It from a Porsche 911. It’s the nut between the seat and the steering wheel.....

funny you mentioned that. first thing i do when i wake up in the morning is unplug my phone from the charger, which automatically lights up the screen. usually it's the background photo of one of my dogs, but if i've received a call or text in the night the screen is darkened with a preview of the message. i actually owned a 911 some years ago (wow, what a machine!) and it took my sleepy brain a moment to figure out that he wasn't referring to fine German automobiles, but a weekend emergency...

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I got a text from him. He is out of town right now but he says the set screw was on his foot pedal....... I told him to call me but haven’t heard anything yet

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got a text from him. He is out of town right now but he says the set screw was on his foot pedal....... I told him to call me but haven’t heard anything yet

if he stripped the set screw in the plastic foot pedal valve there ain't no fixing that. he'll need to get a new one from GRS.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
if he stripped the set screw in the plastic foot pedal valve there ain't no fixing that. he'll need to get a new one from GRS.

He could fill it with a plastic resin compound, or maybe a glue gun and then re tap the hole. I have also drilled out stripped plastic holes, and glued in acrylic rod and then drilled and tapped that. Without seeing the problem, it is not possible to know whether or not it can be fixed in the shop, or sent back for repair.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, it probably 'could' be fixed, but replacements are like $5? iirc, those valve cylinders are turned out of acetal/POM (delrin), which is virtually impossible to glue or solvent weld, so you gotta go with either drilling out to a larger size & screw, or a thread insert (which can be undependable PITAs in plastic).

i ran into this situation some years back and the problem was the hole had been partly counterbored with a clearance size drill (1/4" or maybe"F"), leaving only about half the hole with threads. in plastic, that's a big no-no. they told me they had corrected that, so i'd be interested in knowing if that's the problem this time around and how old is the machine?

Sponsors