Question: New engravers (what and where to acquire)

barak

Hi, i am new to the world of engraving and this is my first post here so greatings everyone!

i want to start engraving, and so far i was able to procure most of the necessary equipment........except for the engravers.
i am a bit confused as to what engravers to buy, since i saw many engravers online, and most of them did not say what are they for (wood, stone, soft metals ,iron ,etc...) and im not sure which ones to get.
I have an abundance of scrap iron, so that would be my preferred metal to work with, but i would also like to engrave copper and maybe other things in the future.
if anyone could explain what engravers i should buy and where to get them, that would be a huge help!
Also, i do not live in the US, so any links or references to online shops need to ship worldwide, please!

thank you, and hopefully i could get started soon.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Barack. Actually they are gravers and you are the engraver :)
I suggest starting with a simple square graver which is enough to keep you busy for a very long time.

You might tell us what your equipment consists of.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Barak, welcome.

I suggest you also add to your details your location so that if there was someone reading your posts who was close to you they might offer to meet and discuss any problems.

Just a thought,
Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. rio grande, gesswein, grs, all sell a variety of gravers to suit every need, from beginner to master engraver. as mentioned, the square is a good one to start with. flats, rounds, and liners all produce cuts with a slightly different look to them. the manner of application will determine how a particular graver cut will appear. don't get in a rush to buy a lot of expensive tools. suprizingly beautiful work can be, and is done, using very simple tooling. good luck in your pursuit.

barak

First of all, thank you for the response, it's been helpfull so far.
i am from israel, and this hobby is not very common here (so far i haven't found anything related, not-online).
my tools are a simple chasing hammer (probably not an ACTUAL chasing hammer, but its a small enough hammer to be used for fine crafts), a small bench vice, and proper lighting.

You said a square graver is a good start, and i have found numerous ones online that look quite different. could you explain which one is a proper graver for graving with hammer & gravers? and what should the graver be made of? (carbide, steel, etc.)
Also, if possible, how would you estimate the cost of a decent graver? and is a handle required?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I would not advise "scrap iron" as a learning material.
There are many different kinds which are all different and unpredictable unless
you know the type of iron or steel you are attempting to engrave..
Find the copper or a piece of "mild steel" to learn on.

barak

one more question- what is a "blank graver"?
the cheap startup cost says "square graver blanks"
what are those and how are they different from the non-blanks?
can you please explain how it works?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
what is a "blank graver"?
It's a rod of unshaped, unsharpened metal. Kinda like a blank canvas waiting for the artist to do something with it.

Now you know what all the diamonds stones and sharpening templates are for.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Barak,
Welcome to the forum and to the world of engraving.
Do you speak and read English? Or are you using a translator program?
If you do read English I might suggest that you search for a book "The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek.
You might find a copy online and it will be a great help to you and answer many of your questions as you get into engraving.
And it might just save you money by showing you what and what not to buy for engraving.

toddwilkinson

hi, I am new guy from Oregon, just setting up. have new gravermach at with 901.
tonight I reversed the seat on my stool, and my o' my what an improvement in
comfort , it took the pressure of underside of my legs as I lean forword to view microscope.
wanted to share that! it felt like I discovered the wheel.
you vet's already know it, I'm sure,,,,,i was euphoric.

barak

thanks for the book recommendation, i will look into it. (i can speak and read/write in english)
as for the blank gravers, i get the "not sharpened" part, but "unshaped"? doesnt the graver NEED a shape to work? if it doesnt, doesnt that mean i can engrave with any piece of hardened steal?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"unshaped" probably refers to a new graver, before grinding the excess metal away from the front, so you only have to resharpen a tiny tip instead of a large area.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Obviously you haven't read the Cafe's tutorials and tips yet. They are located in the task bar at the very top of the page. Spend a couple of days reading them and then come back with questions you still need clarified. You can start with this one:

http://www.igraver.com/sharpening.shtml

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
thanks for the book recommendation, i will look into it. (i can speak and read/write in english)
as for the blank gravers, i get the "not sharpened" part, but "unshaped"? doesnt the graver NEED a shape to work? if it doesnt, doesnt that mean i can engrave with any piece of hardened steal?

Thank you Barak.
Glad to clear that up because the book is in English.
On your second question. Engraving with any hardened steel.
Yes, but that would depend on the hardness and type of metal you were trying to cut.

Sponsors