Question: Unknown engraver

BigRed

Good afternoon, I am trying to find out who the engraver is, this is a 1931 German made ppk, that’s all I know, any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 6A2C57D7-DDC2-4E07-B893-ED917D1CD47F.jpg
    6A2C57D7-DDC2-4E07-B893-ED917D1CD47F.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 343
  • E6918D4B-41ED-4B8E-A50A-2F801AC133C8.jpg
    E6918D4B-41ED-4B8E-A50A-2F801AC133C8.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 346

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pre-war engraved German guns are almost always unsigned by the engraver because signing one's work was against the rules of the gun trade at that time. So original factory engraved pre-war Walthers will not be signed.

Many Walthers are engraved with an oak leaf (eichenlaub) motif. I have checked my files where I have about 200 images of engraved Walther PP and PPK pistols. In my opinion, the execution of the oak leaves on the pistol in question is not consistent with those engraved by pre-war factory engravers or any other engraver that I am familiar with.

The gold inlaid monogram is undoubtedly intended to infer that the pistol was made for, or owned by, Adolph Hitler. Because there are so many spurious Hitler connected artifacts in existence, I consider them all to be questionable unless they are accompanied by an iron-clad provenance.

BigRed

Thank you for your information, it is a mystery who it was made for, I did contact Walther last year, he said, he had found something interesting, ask me what I wanted for it, I ask what did you find ? He said when you are ready to sell let me know. I am still trying to find out more, always a dead end. Thank you for your time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not to condemn the gun, but if it was done for hitler, i'd surely think there would be much more in the way of gold and other fancy appointments.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
not to condemn the gun, but if it was done for hitler, i'd surely think there would be much more in the way of gold and other fancy appointments.

in 1931 he was not yet such a big deal, assuming the pistol was engraved around the time it was made.

BigRed

The font on letters looks the same, I contact Walther, it is 1931 ppk, 7.65, that’s all I know, still trying to find more, any information would be greatly appreciated

BigRed

My late father had it hidden for 45 years, i was told he got it from a widow, Walther said it was a 1931 ppk, 7.65, that’s all I know, many people say it was not factory engraving but have never seen this type of engraving, I think it was a presentation pice, not sure who, still looking, any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your help

BigRed

Good evening,
Did not come from Missouri, from east cost, question? Is there another one like it?, thank you for your help, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Sponsors