First post - Engraving a ring

Vin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4vF9tgiLog

Dear all,
This is my first post and i'm new to the engraving scene. I thought I'd introduce myself with a video.

I have wanted to learn to engrave for a while, however, apart from online resources, I do not have easy access to lessons. Eventually, I finally decided to build an engraving machine. - Thanks to Sean Hughes for the inspiration and time he takes to create his videos. Since building the machine, the engraving I have been learning is by trial and error.

Above is a sped up video of some engraving practice. There were 2 graver slips - nothing major. The thermoplastic bulge made that section of engraving difficult - mistake now learned from. The design follows a scroll pattern along one axis. I am using an optivisor type device for magnification, and a small LED light source.
Please feel free to give tips to help me improve.

Kind regards,
Vin

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it appears that you don't need too many tips to become really proficient at the craft. your trial & error technique looks good to me. thanks for showing.

Vin

Thank you for the likes and comments. As everything in life, I expect engraving to be a constant learning process.

Following the video, I decided to try background removal for the first time. I used the same ring, and 96 degree graver. I had some realisation that this was the wrong tool, but nevertheless, took the risk.
I ended up needing to go over all the outlines again because removing the background caused the scroll outlines to loose their sharp edges.

Kind regards,
Vin

monk

Staff member
you can practice on a piece of scrap. cut a series of parallel lines in the background using your 96. then cut another series of parallel lines at 90 degrees. then go in with a flat and remove the remaining surface. you could also wriggle with a flat to make the background more even or level. i've also used round gravers for the parallel cuts. either have worked well for me. a rotary tool can also be used, but must be done with extreme care. rotary burrs have a habit of jumping around and creating disasters.

Vin

you can practice on a piece of scrap. cut a series of parallel lines in the background using your 96. then cut another series of parallel lines at 90 degrees. then go in with a flat and remove the remaining surface. you could also wriggle with a flat to make the background more even or level. i've also used round gravers for the parallel cuts. either have worked well for me. a rotary tool can also be used, but must be done with extreme care. rotary burrs have a habit of jumping around and creating disasters.

Thanks Monk,
I will practice the flat graver technique you have explained.

Kind regards,
Vin

monk

Staff member
please be advised that what works for one, may not work for another. you alluded to a "constant learning" process. don't just do things one way because one person does it that way. fiddle with other techniques. this process will allow you to find ways that are just perfect for you.

Latest posts

Sponsors